beta 4 - Exceeded maximum thread count...

Started by KlausK, July 07, 2016, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

I am experiencing crashes which seem to be related to using the colour sliders on shader nodes.
Not that I could reproduce the problem on purpose but it shows itself while doing often and fast changes to different nodes` colour sliders.

The problem is that I cannot completely read the error message that pops up.
The window is too small, the headline "please report the error message to planetside software" ... blablabla
takes up most of the window width of the line which has the interesting part of the message in it.
Since tg4 stops working immediately after the message I have no access to the window.
I`ll post the complete message when I get a chance to fetch it somehow.

Maybe someone else noticed this.

cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

KlausK

Hm, now I got the same message and following crash when changing values in a Fractal Warp.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Oshyan

What is the title of this thread intended to mean? Is that a message you are actually getting?

When you get these crashes, are you in the RTP, or regular (old) preview?

- Oshyan

KlausK

Yes. That is the last part of the error message I can see.
Thought, that would be the best description.

The "Error and Warnings" window pops up and shows something like this:
"Please report the error message to planetside software - Exceed maximum thread count..."
Because TG4 immediately crashes after the window pops up, I cannot access it to widen it to see the rest of the message.
The window is filled with lots (13, 67 or any other number) of messages of the same error.

As I said I cannot reproduce the error.
I had it happen in various scenes, with various nodes in different network setups today.
After the crash and restart the "Error and Warnings" window is empty.
Is there a place where TG stores the error messages and warnings?

This is with the regular (old) preview, not the RTP.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit.
My Nvidia drivers are up to date, as are all others on this machine I am aware of .
Googling the message brings up faulty behaviour related to server stuff mostly.

cheers, Klaus

KlausK

I had Windows Resource Monitor running while using TG4 Beta.

Observations:

The CPU Monitor window shows a "Threads" count of 70 while rendering (either preview/regular or image to disk).
Changing any setting in any random node in my scenes network can lead to tg4 creating/calling/whateveritdoes too many threads.
Just before a crash the "Threads" count goes up over a hundred+ and tg4 stops working.

Let me know if I can perform any specific test for you to narrow this down.
Or is it my machine misbehaving (although tg4 beta is the only app causing this)?

cheers, Klaus

Oshyan

Thanks for those additional details, I think that will be helpful. Can you try setting the max threads to 32 in Preferences and see if that improves stability? I don't now why TG would even be allocating so many threads in your case, your CPUs should only expose 16 threads each, so the total *should* be 32.

I'll have Matt stop in to take a look at your info here.

- Oshyan

KlausK

No problem, Oshyan.

Are you referring to "Renderers / Advanced / Minimum - Maximum Threads"?
In TG3 and now in TG4 Beta I have never touched this setting before. Well, in TG3 I never had that error occur...
Minimum=1, Maximum=64 seems to be the default setting. That`s a per scene setting then.
I have changed it to 32 now in the scenes I was working on.

What I always have done though in TG3 and now in TG4 Beta is to activate the "Override automatic number of cores detection"
to 30 as "Preferred number of cores" instead of the full 32 cores (Physical and HT). Worked well until now, I thought.
Since the crashes in TG3 I had never triggered the mentioned error message I cannot say for sure nevertheless
that this was not a cause for crashes. I`ll have an eye on this when I run TG3 again.

I`ll report back how TG4 Beta behaves after changing the above settings.
cheers, Klaus

Matt

Quote from: KlausK on July 08, 2016, 06:08:50 PM
What I always have done though in TG3 and now in TG4 Beta is to activate the "Override automatic number of cores detection"
to 30 as "Preferred number of cores" instead of the full 32 cores (Physical and HT). Worked well until now, I thought.

Yes, that's the same setting that Oshyan was referring to.

When you look at the process with monitoring tools you'll see many more threads that are created by the Embree ray-tracing core, and that's currently outside of our control. But that should be OK.

With your preferences set to 30 you should not see this error, so something is not working as intended. Can you send us a project file to help us reproduce the problem?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

KlausK

Oshyan