Is the Following Possible with Terragen 2 and UDK?

Started by Benjamin385, May 24, 2010, 12:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin385

Ok, we are developing a game in UDK (Unreal Development Kit) currently I have a team of 2 People Including myself

We are planning to Create Something similar to the game Planetside (Massive Planets Environments and lots of players)
But we are putting a spin on things in our game.

We are wondering if Terragen 2 can make an Complete Planet Terrain.
I realize that I will need to make some adjustments in the UDK to to the mesh to allow it to look curved from Space and Give it Clouds, Foliage, Etc.

But here is my Question can Terragen 2 make complete Planet Terrain? Ok, I failed to read the front page apparently it can... /Facepalm
If so can i export them into the UDK and How?

Ok, I think i figured out how to make a possible Export to UDK...

Import into 3ds max and Export as a .ASE (please note i have not tested this atm) If some one could test my theroy for me i would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time

Ben

Henry Blewer

The way Terragen 2 handles the data would make a huge ghinormous file for a whole planet. You may be able to export image maps which could be combined to form the planet. Doing it this way would allow you to access specific areas easier.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

nikita

I think you're better off writing your own 3D perlin noise to generate yourself a procedural terrain.

Benjamin385

Quote from: njeneb on May 25, 2010, 08:38:30 AM
The way Terragen 2 handles the data would make a huge ghinormous file for a whole planet. You may be able to export image maps which could be combined to form the planet. Doing it this way would allow you to access specific areas easier.

And how would i go about exporting the image maps?

Just with the lack of documentation i am kinda inbetween a rock and a hard place.

Oshyan

You can't export a complete planet in any easy way at this point, whether as image, heightfield, or geometry. You may be better off with a dedicated heightfield modeling application like World Machine, Leveller, Wilbur, or Geocontrol.

- Oshyan