Poll

What is the GPU manufacturer and model family of your video card?

AMD/ATI HD 2000/3000 Series
0 (0%)
AMD/ATI HD 4000 Series
3 (4.8%)
AMD/ATI HD 5000 Series
4 (6.5%)
AMD/ATI HD 6000 Series
6 (9.7%)
AMD/ATI HD 7000 Series
2 (3.2%)
Earlier AMD/ATI Radeon
1 (1.6%)
AMD/ATI FirePro Series (details in comments)
1 (1.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 7 Series
3 (4.8%)
Nvidia Geforce 8 Series
1 (1.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 9/100 Series
4 (6.5%)
Nvidia Geforce 200/300 Series
1 (1.6%)
Nvidia Geforce 400 Series
11 (17.7%)
Nvidia Geforce 500 Series
13 (21%)
Nvidia Quadro Series (details in comments)
5 (8.1%)
Intel Onboard GMA Series
0 (0%)
Other (details in comments)
7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: What video card do you use?  (Read 6595 times)

Offline mr-miley

• Badges... We don't need no steenkin badges
    • gINTDev
Re: What video card do you use?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
NVIDIA Quadro 2000D here  :)

Oooo, and I'm the first one on Page 3... whoop whoop!!! (doesn't take much to please me ;D )
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Offline Artistico

• The art, photography and poetry of Hakon
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
I didn't think the Graphics card made much of a difference to Terragen, or does it? Anyway, mine is a Nvidia GeForce GTX560M, which was one of the best ones I could get for my workhorse laptop 2 1/2 years ago. It's still my main computer, though I will upgrade to a desktop with a big, big screen one of the next few years.

Screen size is really my main issue with just using a laptop. 15.6 inches isn't much when you're working with photos, artwork and design. Processing speed might be an issue if I work a bit more with Terragen where one can never have enough of it...
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
www.galleryhakon.com

Offline Zlain three nine

• The Cats eyes will spin
    • facebook
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 02:26:03 AM »
Last fall I upgraded my PC to a EVGA Geforce 770 GTX 4GB Classified GPU (from a Geforce 460).

No, TG doesnt use the GPU for rendering, or even the 3D preview, tho' I think I once heard it can improve performance in the node network window, if say if you have tons and tons of nodes, but that several years ago, so I could be wrong about that.

Someday... I will own a pickle shooting condiment train.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
TG does actually use your graphics card for the 3D Preview, which is the main reason we asked about which card people use in this thread. Some people occasionally have stability issues and it often seems related to the graphics card, so for support reasons we wanted an understanding of the most common graphics cards/chipsets in our userbase.

- Oshyan

Offline kalwalt

• kalwaltart
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
i have a Nvidia GT540M on windows7 i have no problems, but on linx i need to use the bumblebee project because nvidia use the optiums technology. At this time i can't use with Terragen, normally if i want to run an app with my Nvidia card i need to run in a console with the command optirun. But if i run with:
Code: [Select]
optirun wine tgd.exei get an error and Tg do not start. I'm using TG, under Linux , with my intel integrated card, it is slower that in windows, and sometimes with complex scene it crash.... i need to investigate on this, maybe asking support on the bumblebee project or on the wine forums.
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Offline Zlain three nine

• The Cats eyes will spin
    • facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 02:15:19 AM »
How much of the GPU does TG use?

I don't know much about programming, but it would be cool if in some future, distant version of TG it had an performance option with the 3D preview to take more advantage out of higher end GPU's with CUDA or OpenCL or whatever.

just an idea.
Someday... I will own a pickle shooting condiment train.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:04 AM »
TG uses OpenGL on the graphics card for displaying 3D objects in the preview, as well as for some other UI drawing functions. Faster graphics cards do give you better performance with larger amounts of on-screen object geometry, but they do not other parts of the 3D preview (e.g. terrain or atmosphere rendering), or general rendering, faster. We're certainly interested in options like CUDA, etc. when they are practical and can handle everything that TG needs to render.

- Oshyan

Offline MichaelTomp

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »
I use Nvidia Geforce FX 5200. Arrived to the point where I have to get a better one.

anything