Poll

What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Mac OS 9
1 (0.6%)
Mac OS X
20 (11.7%)
Windows 2000
4 (2.3%)
Windows XP
27 (15.8%)
Windows XP x64
9 (5.3%)
Windows Vista 32 Bit
10 (5.8%)
Windows Vista 64 Bit
12 (7%)
Windows 7 32 Bit
8 (4.7%)
Windows 7 64 Bit
69 (40.4%)
Linux (Wine)
8 (4.7%)
Other
0 (0%)
Windows 98
0 (0%)
Windows 8
3 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: What operating systems do you use Terragen on?  (Read 13491 times)

Offline efflux

Re: What operating systems do you use Terragen on?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
What version of Wine are you people running where the icons issue is fixed? I'm not using Ubuntu anymore. I'm using Debian Wheezy (testing) 64 bit. I like Debian better now. It's simpler and easier to tweak than Ubuntu. Wheezy has wine 1.0.1-3.1. I just had a problem with the Nvidia drivers in the latest update and had to drop to using the open source driver. By chance I tried TG2 32 bit and it actually worked. It didn't with the Nvidia drivers. This will be due to open GL and 64/32 bit problems. I still have the icons problem and I can't open TG2 files without a crash for some reason. Is anyone using the 64 bit TG2? I can't install that because I'd need to copy over from 64 bit Windows. I am assuming installing 64 bit TG2 will not be possible and I need the dlls anyway. I guess I could install TG2 on someone elses 64 bit computer to copy over for a test. However Windows computers are disappearing around here. I am convincing everybody to use Ubuntu. It's snowballing massively because I installed Ubuntu on a reasonably fast Sony laptop and I added an SSD. After years of problems and slow speed they could not believe the new speed and reliability. Now everyone wants Ubuntu.

The lack of working on Linux is the prime reason I'm not using TG2 anymore.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:24:43 PM by efflux »

Offline MKE

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
copied the tg2 folder to my ubuntu partition, marked as executable and loaded with wine. :)

Hej, that's great!!! I didn't know about the possibility to run Windows software with Wine on Linux. We have a fast Linux cluster using openSuse and now I can run my animation there with a higher "niceness" for not disturbing the people who do "real work" there. Great.

There are some problems with the TG2 preview window but the rendering works fine. So I can test everything on my own machine and then let the animation run on the fast cluster. Thanks to the forum for the information about wine! It's surely not as good as a real Linux Version of TG2 but it works.

Martin

Offline MKE

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »
It's surely not as good as a real Linux Version of TG2 but it works.

Hmmm... It works but it seems that the translation of wine slows down very much the whole rendering. So rendering on my half year old 6-core Windows-PC is faster that on the one year old 16-core high performance Linux processing cluster. Wine makes TG2 running there but it's far away from making a Linux-version of TG2 dispensable.

Kind regards,
Martin

Offline reck

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
The lack of working on Linux is the prime reason I'm not using TG2 anymore.

It's a shame that your choice of OS is dictating what software you're using. If you want to use TG2 just duel boot into Windows.

I sometimes use Linux but there's just so much that won't run that it remains something I boot into now and again alongside Windows.

Offline AndyWelder

• Niet zeuren, gewoon doen!
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:44 PM »
Isn't it time Win8 is added to the list of OS's? Who knows, someone might actually use Terragen with it....
Now seriously: I did run TG2 on the Dev Preview and have to admit it did run very smoothly. In my enthusiasm to test Win8 I forgot there was a render on its way and it wasn't till after I installed a couple of programs that I did remember the render... Didn't notice a significant slow down while running the installers. On Win7 I would never try to run anything next to TG2 because I did try once and the installer took forever to finish.
And about Win8: Well, that's not running on my machine anymore because I think it's fine for smartphones and tablet-pc's but not for the traditional desktop/notebook.
^___^
 ( - - )
=( v )= Groetjes uit Eindhoven

Offline Kadri

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 09:23:19 PM »

I voted for Windows 7 64 bit then , but now i am using it on Windows 8 64 bit .

On W7 when i used 7 of 8 cores (quad core with hyperthreading) it was rougher when i rendered with TG2 .
I had to manually uncheck one core from rendering.
Now in Windows 8 it is so smooth i do not have to do anything.
Nothing scientific but Windows 8 runs smoother as it seems multy threaded programs to me.

Andy i do not use the Metro interface.
Beside that there is not a start option on the bar it is nearly the same as Windows 7 to me...and a little faster and smoother.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:26:23 PM by Kadri »

Offline Thelby

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »
I am little late to this, but I use;
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
The Vista is a Q6600. The Windows 7 Home is an i7 830 system and the Windows 7 Pro is an i7 2600 System.