Can't launch tgd.exe

Started by PG, August 23, 2009, 03:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Hey guys,

Well it's not a TG2 issue, but a Windows bugger up that means I can't launch tgd.exe, from either the shortcuts on the start menu and desktop or running the executable directly. Just comes up with an error message saying windows can't find it. I've tried reinstalling, perusing the registry, making sure every single related file is wiped from the hard drive but nothing works. I can still use tgdcli.exe which works alright but I never use (don't know how to use) the console so I would quite like to use the  normal one.
All information on the internet leads to a virus but always in relation to Internet Explorer. Anyone had this before, or have any thoughts on how to fix it without a complete system recovery (which'll wipe all 135 of my games :-X)
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Sorry I have no idea what's happening, but as a workaround to be still able to use TG2 you can run the tgdcli.exe.
TG2 starts up with the normal GUI and with an extra command screen you don't have to use.

Martin

PG

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I'll probably just get used to it in time and maybe even figure out how to use the console ;D If you find out though could you drop a line?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on August 23, 2009, 12:58:47 PM
Yeah that's what I've been doing. I'll probably just get used to it in time and maybe even figure out how to use the console ;D If you find out though could you drop a line?

Sure.

I only use the client to see what's going on and how many instances are being populated for example. I don't use the command line at all (yet).

jo

Hi PG,

I don't have any insight about your launching problem. Yay Windows. Trying to install an old game yesterday borked my Vista install, quite a hassle to fix. That was the fault of the lame DRM the game used though.

Anyway, you don't need to know anything about the console to use tgdcli. You can't interact with the TG2 through the command window that comes up when it launches anyway. You can just ignore the command window if you like, and use TG2 as usual. I pretty much always run tgdcli because I can see status stuff in the command window, but I've never typed anything into it.

Regards,

Jo

Matt

Quote from: PG on August 23, 2009, 03:59:40 AM
Hey guys,

Well it's not a TG2 issue, but a Windows bugger up that means I can't launch tgd.exe, from either the shortcuts on the start menu and desktop or running the executable directly. Just comes up with an error message saying windows can't find it. I've tried reinstalling, perusing the registry, making sure every single related file is wiped from the hard drive but nothing works.

I had something similar happen to me a few months ago. Not exactly the same, but similar. I would run tgd.exe from one folder, and it would run a different version that was installed somewhere completely different. This was from clicking on the executable, not a shortcut or anything. Maybe it was only calling the .DLLs from a different folder, not the .exe, but that's still not what it's supposed to do. As a developer, obviously I have more than one version of tgd.exe on my computer, so this is a serious problem.

I think in the end I was able to get things working again by uninstalling Terragen 2 (all installations, one by one if necessary) and rebooting. I think the problem came from having a few versions of Terragen 2 installed (free, beta, deep etc.), although most of the time this doesn't cause me any problems. However, why clicking on an executable should cause Windows to go and find a different version of the .exe or its libraries - in the registry presumably - is beyond me.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Henry Blewer

Use Glary Utilities available at download.com. It has an uninstaller which work better than the Windows one. Use the 1 click maintenance to scan the computer (don't use the one which clears your tracks. You'll lose all the browsers remembered pass codes)

This should clear out the debris which may be on your system. After a reboot, try reinstalling Terragen 2. It should fix the issue.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

PG

I gave that a go but while there were a hefty few thousand issues none of them were related to TG2. Still having the problem.

Henry Blewer

Are you using a custom hard drive set up? Specifically, is your Program Directory on a different hard drive partition than Volume C:?

PG

No although I do have Vista and Win 7 on two different hard drives to the C drive with XP on. TG2 is installed on Vista as well. Works normally there.

Henry Blewer

There may be a conflict. The differing OS. Did you install Terragen 2 in Vista? It may work properly in Windows 7, but the devices and dll's would be different for XP. XP and Vista are almost as alien to each other as XP to Mac's OS.

PG

heh, maybe. I don't know why that would cause it to suddenly stop working though. It's been fine up until I cleared my temporary files.