That was one of my first posted renders:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1148/1361172831_c893c6626d_o.jpg

This one is new:
I think finally I achieved some improvements, especially in the clouds:

C&C are welcome

Best Regards,
Jan

cyphyr

very cool mars, one of the nicest I've seen, how did you do your clouds? theyre very effective :)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Mars?  This is Mars?

Well, whatever planet, it's very well done.  Good job!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

Thanks for your kind comments, glad you like it!

Just for comparison, same perspective:

Maybe you are right, Calico, my version could be the wrong part of the multiverse.
But maybe ours is the wrong one. ;)

@cyphir:
My clouds use a normal density fractal, blended by a heavily warped density fractal at planet scale which itself is blended by an image map that tells where there is ocean (the latter inversed for some cloud layers so there are "ocean clouds" and "land clouds") could have used the terrain hight for this, but it was easier this way. not as pure, but effective.

Best regards,
Jan

rcallicotte

It would be cool to see an animation of flying into this planet and landing somewhere like the edge of the forest down there (in the first two images).
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Cyber-Angel

Hi Mahnmut,

I love you images, I do have a suggestion for the third image of Mars you have created and that would be to create ice caps at the Southern and Northern Poles, put "Martian Ice Caps" or "Mars Ice Caps" into Google for information on what they look like: other then that great. ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Hi, very nice, Mars but just not recently!   ;) I notice the volcano clusters around where Olympus Mons is today - did you use DEM data for this? I've been trying to import from MOLA to 3DEM to Terragen but don't seem to be having much luck - I'm pretty sure i'm missing a step but can't see what - can you suggest? I hear the HiRise data from Mars will be amazing when they finally manage to make the full dataset public...!

Cyber-Angel

From my understanding is that HIRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment)   is a camera system and that data form it is processed via the PDS which is only available to academic institutions and not the public after all the MRO is about hard science that should born in mind by the layman.

It will be some years I should think before the full data set would be available to the public and more over documentation explaining it would have to be written and this would take more time.  ::)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

Tangled-Universe

I like your cloud-technique, very well done. Also, the multiverse version is very nice, different than the usual. Good!

Martin

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on April 28, 2009, 10:35:23 AM
It would be cool to see an animation of flying into this planet and landing somewhere like the edge of the forest down there (in the first two images).

Didn't someone recently tell you that you are obsessed with animation? ;D lol

It's a great idea, for sure!

domdib

Quote from: 201010 on April 28, 2009, 11:06:05 AM
Hi, very nice, Mars but just not recently!   ;) I notice the volcano clusters around where Olympus Mons is today - did you use DEM data for this? I've been trying to import from MOLA to 3DEM to Terragen but don't seem to be having much luck - I'm pretty sure i'm missing a step but can't see what - can you suggest? I hear the HiRise data from Mars will be amazing when they finally manage to make the full dataset public...!
Haven't tried it myself, but isn't there a shader specifically for loading MOLA files? See http://www.planetside.co.uk/docs/tg2/noderef/ in Shader Nodes/Displacement Shaders/MOLA Map shader

Mahnmut

Hi There, thanks for your kind comments.

@ calico:
yes, I would also like an animation, but  not on my ANCIENT computer.
In fact one of the reasons I came back to my mars project at this moment was, that rendertimes for planetary renders are shorter. ;)

@ Cyber-Angel :
I would hardly call the red version my creation, I put an imagemap on top of my version and rendered it in poor quality just to show where on mars we are. The poles are just beyond the horizon in this view.
I know, MarsĀ“poles have a rather beautiful structure, at the moment I am busy adapting them to my green version.

@201010:
Actually all my terrain is generated by one 16k bumpmap I found on the celestia motherlode.
It represents the actual topography of mars. The three volcanoes are Ascraeus, Arsia and Pavonis Mons on the Tharsia bulge, Olympus is also visible close to the upper right horizon looming through the clouds.

@ dombib: that mola-shader sounds interesting, I wonder where to get the data.

Thanks Tangled-Universe, which version do you mean by multiverse? Red or green?

Best regards to all,
Jan

domdib

Just type "mola data" into Google, and it looks like there's places to download...

Cyber-Angel

The thing is that MOLA and HIRISE are different instruments and use different proprietary data formats as far as I know, also the Specifications for the resolution are different

MOLA:  (Data Source: http://ssed.gsfc.nasa.gov/tharsis/spec.html

Resolution

* Vertical precision (shot-to-shot): 37.5 cm
    * Absolute vertical accuracy: <10 m (depends on accuracy of reconstruction of radial spacecraft orbit)
    * Surface spot size: 130 m
    * Along-track shot spacing: 330 m
    * Across-track shot spacing: depends on mapping orbit and will vary with latitude     

HIRISE:

Please the table on this page

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/teknikos.php

As you will see the HIRISE instrument with its Ground Sample Distance of 30cm/pixel form 300km Altitude is vastly better data the MOLA.

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel