Know anything about 360 sound and head phones?

Started by TheBadger, February 26, 2015, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,

I know there are people here who make music and work in audio fields.
Can anyone here direct me to a reading source about the new 360 degree headphones that are popping up everywhere? Im interested in them as far as games and video go. So are they some kind of omnidirectional, or something, or literally somehow 360 degrees of sound?

And what about audio mixing for 360 surround sound? What software is out there for mixing surround sound? Is the soft any different than stereo (maybe just more channels?)

I have only ever worked in stereo. I have some theory from school and such. But nothing in practice or any tech (other than stereo)

I was looking for real info, not just marketing posed as information/"news" stories, like I find on google when I search.

Thank you.

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Thank you!
Ha!
you know, I did not even think for one second about recording new sound until I saw the mic in your link. I was thinking about stock sound. But now that I am thinking about it, I guess that there is not going to be very much stock 360 yet, if any. :(
Well, this puts some water on my fire.

On the other hand, could be a chance for some people to make a little cash on producing stock 360 audio enviros.

Still, I wonder what kind of work it would be to build 360 sound out of stock effects. As apposed to recording a complete enviro in one or two sittings.
It has been eaten.

inkydigit

Hi M
Lots of stuff on the bbc page
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/binaural-broadcasting
Some demos also
http://www.qsound.com/demos/binaural-audio.htm
If you use Logic or similar there are plugin units (AU + VST) to recreate audio environments from other mixed sources...
A couple of omni directional mics will record decent enough sound which I guess you could process further....
My Hdd died so until the new beast arrives I cannot open Logic up myself to experiment with my own recordings... ( I have a Zoom stereo mic)
Googling 360 audio foley produced some interesting links too....

Cheers
J
:))