TGC Files & Node connections

Started by cadmar, May 13, 2013, 10:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadmar

Hello there,

I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out where to plug in these nodes, that are imported with these tgc files. Is there a reference of examples to some case scenarios. First it is hard to even read them. I know you can click on one of the tabs such as terrain or atmosphere etc, to zoom in on the zodes of that section. However, that does not help, if you have no idea, where you want to connect the imported tgc to.

I would never make it as an electrician.:) Anyways, it would only be logical to you, if you had a full understanding of what each of the nodes were. The simplest tgc files, such as clouds, are a challenge, never mind the landscapes & such. It certainly is not something that is simple common sense. You really need to really understand, how these nodes flow & in order to do that, you need reference material. Explaining not just the how to, but why.

I've been trying this for awhile, once I get & it works, it was just luck. Because it was just luck, I learned nothing from it. I had no idea what I did. It would be great if the program connected them automatically after you imported the TGC file.

This was a great example, however, it does not apply to all atmosphere related tgc imports.  http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=12117.0

Bottom line, I really need to get to understand these nodes. Can someone point me in a direction where I can find lots of node how to info.

Added to:

I think I have the cloud tgc files figured out. It seems you just have to insert output of the new clouds name into the input of atmosphere 01 node. Not to mistake the input of the atmosphere 01 node with the shadow function input of atmosphere 01 Node. which is what I did earlier on. All that plugging it into shadow function, gave me was a longer atmosphere render time. :)

Thank you

jo

Hi,

I've moved your topic to a more appropriate part of the forum.

The short answer is that it's up to the clip author to say where things should be connected. Different things can be connected into different parts of the network. There's not really one right answer to where a clip should be connected.

It's not a lot of help to you right now but we recognise this is a problem and you might be happy to learn that we've been working on making it both easier for clip authors to describe how their clips should be connected and to make it easier for clip users to insert clips into the network.

Regards,

Jo

cadmar

Thank you Jo,

That does make me feel a lot better. Its great to know that is coming. I look forward to it.

Thank you again!

Rick