several random questions

Started by TheBadger, December 12, 2012, 03:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello.

I had a few questions on my brain and did not want to start a new topic for each one. Hope its ok.

1) can someone please post a link of a TG2 render with an object in it that has fur. And one that has hair too (preferably close ups). I could not locate one, but I remember seeing several.
I am planning on some tests for fun and curiosity. I want to see if I can make an object that has fur or hair, where each hair is an individual. SO where the hair is not one sold mesh. I am doing this stuff in Maya, but I want to see what I can get away with in TG2 as far as importing objects go.

2) FBX can carry objects, not just scene data. Has anyone imported an FBX object to TG yet? Or will this aspect of it not work? I read the release notes, but only saw other aspects of FBX mentioned.

3) Matt, Oshyan, jo,
I did not see mention of the .tgo issue on mac 64 being resolved in the release notes. Has it been fixed?
And,
Is it foreseeable that we will have per object/population RTO on/off as opposed to all or nothing? Is this even a technical possibility with TG2?

4) Maya mental ray now supports PTex. For Maya (2013), not very easily. Probably wont be until 2014 when its a quick and easy thing. But its there. Just thought I would say it.  ;D DEATH TO UV MAPPING! Join the fight against wasting time now!
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Badger,

2) FBX object import is not supported yet. It will be in a future release.

3) It's been fixed but slipped through the cracks unfortunately. Sorry about that! We're thinking of a 2.5 maintenance release including the fix. I don't know what the plans are for per-object raytracing.

4) PTEX is certainly on our radar.

Regards,

Jo

zaxxon

Hey Badger! I did try a simple import of an FBX scene from 3DSMax 2011. Just a sphere and two lights; one omni light, one target spot light. I duplicated the sphere in TG2 (no object import possible) from the Max scene location. Interestingly both lights came in under 'atmosphere', which 'listed' the lights under one label as "Omni001". I turned the TG Sunlight and Enviro light's strength to zero and sure enough both lights were present as moveable objects and both lit the sphere. The spotlight had no directional control that I could find (not a supported light type I assume). As I'm still trying to grasp the the basics of T2 it seemed about all I was going to learn about FBX import and export until one of the talented folks here take a stab at it.

bla bla 2

2) FBX object import is not supported yet. It will be in a future release.

J'attend patiement. J'ai des idées pour ça.

I'm waiting patiently. I have ideas for it.

(google translate)  ;)

goldfarb

FBX object import will be nice...
I'd also highly recommend Alembic import/export - http://www.alembic.io - alembic is quickly becoming (for better or worse) the standard format in animation/VFX

I really wouldn't recommend fur in Terragen - without some kind of rendertime interpolated fur generation you'll be stuck with having 100000s of curves in the scene - just not practical and wont look very good without DSMs
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Klas

Quote from: TheBadger on December 12, 2012, 03:49:04 AM
1) can someone please post a link of a TG2 render with an object in it that has fur. And one that has hair too (preferably close ups). I could not locate one, but I remember seeing several.
This? http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=11672.msg118539#msg118539

TheBadger

Jo,
Thanks.
Gad to hear again about PTEX. I will probably bring it up every time I spend a few hours screwing with UVs. I can't tell you how much I hate it. What a terrible waist of creative energy mapping is. :-[

Hope to hear at some point that per-object raytracing will be possible. Because right now I have to render twice when its an issue.

Cheers.

zaxxon,
Thanks man. FBX is new to me, so any info from the community is appreciated.

Bla Bla,
Me too.

goldfarb,
Never heard of it. Thanks for the heads up.

Klas,
Yeah, your who I was thinking of. I couldn't recall your screen name though. So I couldn't find your posts.
I never saw that link you left before. I have to say that you post about an export taking 6 hours really turned me off on the idea. But then I was thinking maybe Maya will do better than DAZ. But I really have no idea. I will probably still try it. I just want to see if It works for me. If it dose, then I could try some more ideas for a render.
It has been eaten.

Klas

Quote from: TheBadger on December 13, 2012, 01:01:52 PMI have to say that you post about an export taking 6 hours really turned me off on the idea.
The fur of the wolf has lots of polygon, meshlabs facecount for the obj is 3346528. And the exporter of the old DS3 was very slow. There are several hair objects on daz3d or rdna that are using a "fibermesh technology", here is a thread on the old forum on DAZ3D about it: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=181785&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (site is very slow and images are not work) The hair export takes only a few seconds.
Example: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/beautiful-black-hairstyles

TheBadger

It has been eaten.