Futurama

Started by Hannes, August 05, 2012, 03:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

There is no terrain, just objects and clouds. All objects are made by myself except
the little ships in line and the buildings inside the floating "greenhouses" (DAZ) and
the trees (free sample by Evermotion).
The "city" was made in 3ds max with multiple instances of Greeble, a free 3ds max plug in,
and then textured with diffuse-, alpha-, specular- and displacement maps.
It took quite a while until I got the glass shader right...
Postwork:
contrast, color grading, lens flare and chromatic abberation (again ;D)

yossam

I really like this............great job.

Seth

masonspappy

cyphyr

Very nicely done :) Render time?
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mahnmut

Not a future in which I would want to live, but a great piece of art!
Best Regards,
Jan

Hannes

Thanks, guys! @cyphyr: 25 hours at 2k resolution.

Jo Kariboo

Very impressive!!! A large amount of work.

TheBadger

Most excellent!

Should post it at http://www.cgsociety.org/ and see if you get any of the grief others have reported. I would be very curious, because I think its as good as anything there for Futurism stuff/landscapes.

I wish you had your own render farm Hannes, I would like to see the animation.

P.S.
When you say there is no terrain, you just mean you cant see any right? I mean, you placed your objects on the default planet, yes? Or is everything floating???
It has been eaten.

Hannes

Good idea, TheBadger. Maybe I'll post it over at CG society. And yes, I love the idea of having a render farm too ;D
There is of course the default planet. I wrote it a bit confusing. I meant there is no fractal terrain or another heightfield shader.

Dune

Incredible work, Hannes!

TheBadger

I cant stop looking at this one. I would like to see a street view if the models have any detail at that level. I am betting it would look great (out door shots). It was argued to me that this kind of scene is something that TG is not good at or best for. But I think its best for some very specific reasons.
It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

wow.  :)

this very impressive
the city looks good enough to be in a film.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

ares2101

Not what I was expecting from the title, but very, very nicely done.

Hannes

Thanks again for your kind words!
@TheBadger: unfortunately the models of this scene don't have any detail at that level. Only the portion that's directly under the closest floating greenhouse. I am testing some new models at the moment. So I'll see how detailed the models can be.
By the way, I don't see any reason why TG should not be good for that kind of scene. The lighting system is great and TG is fantastic in handling large high detailed models once they are converted to TGOs.
Take a look at Vue. A lot of great Vue images are good because the models are good. So it will look crappy with crappy models in Vue as well as in TG.
At the moment I am testing a model I created in 3ds max similar to the city model of this scene. It's very large and very detailed. 3ds max was terribly slow even without textures. It took quite a while to import it into TG, to assign some textures and to convert it into a TGO. It seems that it's a piece of cake for TG now. I can even create a population with it.