River Sunset - TG + Vue

Started by rbneville, October 27, 2011, 12:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbneville

Hello all, This is my first post on these forums. I made the terrain in Terragen 2 then exported to Vue 9.5 XStream for rendering. I have used Terragen for a while but just recently decided to try out Vue, so I decided to put it to the test.  ;D

http://fav.me/d4e2p0e

Tangled-Universe

rbneville

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 27, 2011, 02:29:25 AM
So what's your conclusion? ;)

Well... Thats a complex question.  ;)
I like vue... but not for generating terrains.
I think I will be doing as I did in this pic, creating my terrain in TG and exporting to Vue. Eventually I plan on adding other 3d objects such as vehicles, building, etc... which is where Vue comes in because of its integration with Max.

red_planet

Hi,

Have you checked this out

http://www.emecstudios.com/index.php/plugins/planetside-software-terragen-2.html

Just one utility that works with Max and TG2....

Worth a look...

Rgds

Chris

reck

Interesting. In some respects I wouldn't say terrain generation is one of Terragens strength, if we're talking about heightfields that is. Procedural terrains are a different matter but if your exporting to vue I assume we're not talking about procedural terrains here. In fact some Terragen users use software like World Machine or Geocontrol to create terrains over Terragen due to their more powerful terrain modelling capability compared to Terragens. So if you're only using Terragen for that one purpose it might be worth your while checking out a dedicated terrain package that would give you more control.

For me one of Terragens strengths over's Vue's is its procedural terrains and rocks and it's macro\micro ability (orbit to rock in one scene), but I see in the latest vue update that they have now added procedural rocks, not sure on the other stuff. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before e-on fill in the missing gaps in vue and it'll be able to do everything Terragen can and then some, they have have already copied a few things from Terragen.

Personally I prefer Terragens renders to Vue's most of the time but i guess that's more of a taste thing than a technical one.

Tangled-Universe

Reck,...so is TG2 good or not so good at doing terrains? You say both ;)
I think World-Machine's erosion is superior to everything else available + it's relatively easy to generate fantastic terrains.
However, the output size/resolution is limited.
Vue isn't able to do fully procedural planets, at least I haven't read anything good about it (instability issues mostly), in contrary to TG2 (which is extremely stable).
So regardless of how good/bad it looks, TG2 is better at procedurals. Vue has more noise-flavours and possibilities though.

If one uses Vue with TG2 because Vue is capable of interaction with Max then it would indeed be interesting to look at the emecstudios plugin for TG2.
It's possible and actually quite easy to export terrain from TG2 as a heightfield and/or as a 3D model. So not necessarily a heightfield only.
This allows for camera animation in Max or placing objects in the scene and rendering out passes.

As you may have read here and there TG2 is undergoing a lot of changes in this regard. We are now testing the improved animation module (see animation topic in general discussion now) and also render passes/layers/elements are being developed.

All in all the "need" for 4th ;) party apps like Vue is not necessary as there are already quite some options available and even more is on its way! :)

Cheers,
Martin

rbneville

@red_planet I have seen it but cant get it to work. When I import my camera its way off the terrain. It might just be a scale issue but idk.

@reck I mean't procedural terrains. I simply use a heightfield from shader node to create a .ter then convert the .ter into a .tiff then import into Vue. I also have GeoControl which is great for when I know exactly what results I want (which is rare), but with TG2 I can just add a power fractal and a random seed and I have instant inspiration. Also I do like the look of TG2's renders better but I will say that Vue is alot better than older versions in this latest version (from 7 to 9.5 I saw a %15 reduction in render time on my system).

@Tangled-Universe Your absolutely correct about TG2 being more stable. I had Vue crash 2 times while making that pic (probably my system not so much Vue) but I've never had TG2 crash on me.

BTW here is another image done the same way.  http://fav.me/d4e3qyq

Thanks,
Richard

TheBadger

Quote@Tangled-Universe Your absolutely correct about TG2 being more stable. I had Vue crash 2 times while making that pic (probably my system not so much Vue) but I've never had TG2 crash on me.

TG2 crashes on me all the time... When I go to place an object and realize I selected population instead of individual, so I will click off, Tg2 crashes almost every time. Also, if I am doing test renders and am quickly able to see that whats rendering is not what I want, I quit the render, make a quick change, and start a render, repeating this too many times causes TG2 to crash. There are other things too.

But even still, TG2, when you compare the images people make to other programs of the same nature, is way more impressive. And while I know the individual user makes the image, I don't think they would be as good if made with other software... I just haven't seen as many impressive renders from other programs.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

So many crashes Badger? I haven't heard of that in quite a while now.
Whenever I design scenes I do the exact same thing as you for day after day, hours a day. No crashes for me at all.

It might be something system-specific, for instance, the current World Machine Beta runs terrible on my machine while others don't have problems.

Dune

Do you ever empty your folder of temporary files? I once had it so full, the whole C partition was used up, so TG crashed all the time.

TheBadger

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 28, 2011, 01:35:22 AM
So many crashes Badger? I haven't heard of that in quite a while now.
Whenever I design scenes I do the exact same thing as you for day after day, hours a day. No crashes for me at all.

It might be something system-specific, for instance, the current World Machine Beta runs terrible on my machine while others don't have problems.

Quote from: Dune on October 28, 2011, 02:28:55 AM
Do you ever empty your folder of temporary files? I once had it so full, the whole C partition was used up, so TG crashed all the time.

I am thinking it may be because when I upgraded I did not do a full un-install of the previous version. I kept the older version for some time and then deleted it by dragging it to the trash, this is the common way to un-install on a mac but I never felt very good about it. Is there an un-instaler for TG? It would I think be the best way to get rid of older versions. But I am no expert on these matters, I can only report what I see.

I do clear out old files, when I restart my comp. But I have tons of storage and memory so I don't think that is the problem given my comparably light use of TG. If my problems are system related I have no way of knowing on my own.
It has been eaten.

dandelO

I'd say Terragen these days is the most stable 3D rendering program I have, and I usually make it do pretty unconventional things. I can't remember the last time it crashed, it isn't really an issue to me at all.
Vue is terrible for crashes on my computer, not to mention the horrible, sluggish UI and beard-inducing waiting times to load models, if they load at all, sometimes just importing a heavy model creates a crash.
Carrara is very stable but it does have the odd 'an unknown error occurred' problem sometimes.
TG just gets on with it with no fussing or problems.

jacquesd

working on mac also, TG works just fine and don't have nearly infinite render times comparing to vue. I have been using bryce since the first beta, then vue and mojoworld and in terms of realism or usability TG is far from the old ones... i have been also betatester for eon few years ago and be sure its definitely not a reliable software, yes is has lots of features and a childish interface but its not really usable if you don't get a renderfarm and a really powerful graphic card, specially on osx... just my 2cents, don't be offended :)
Qui ne connait la valeur des mots ne saurait connaitre celle des hommes

rbneville

Quote from: jacquesd on October 29, 2011, 03:51:29 AM
working on mac also, TG works just fine and don't have nearly infinite render times comparing to vue. I have been using bryce since the first beta, then vue and mojoworld and in terms of realism or usability TG is far from the old ones... i have been also betatester for eon few years ago and be sure its definitely not a reliable software, yes is has lots of features and a childish interface but its not really usable if you don't get a renderfarm and a really powerful graphic card, specially on osx... just my 2cents, don't be offended :)

No ones offended, Its your right to have a opinion. But I will say that the above picture only took about 5 mins to render on vue (probably because of lack of vegetation) TG2 was estimating about 15 mins, but I cant say that the renders are equal, because I didn't change any settings in TG2.