Frozen lake near cloudy summit

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 04, 2010, 02:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

What a lame image title  :D

Henry Blewer

Naming is difficult...
The ice is really great. I like the rest also, except where the rocks have the dark lines at their bases. I think snow would have drifted to cover that.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

neuspadrin

Wow, beautiful. Love the wisps of snow drifting across the ice. And guessing thats some new usage 2.2 clouds going on for the summit? Nice.

Onyx

Hetzen

The 'Look' is excellent as always, but I don't think you need all those trees up that mountain Martin. I think your image would look better if they were left on the bank and maybe up that mid left ridge.

Also your clouds don't seem to have much definition, I would have thought if they were clouds they'd have more bellows in them, or if it's blown snow, then thinner and whispier. Sorry, atm they don't look convincing.

Seth

the clouds are a bit strange, on the right part, they look like just plain white paint.
the ice and snow on it look good but as njeneb stated, the dark lines at the base of the rocks look a bit odd.
mmmmh I'd say let's wait for the real final render to be done to judge this one ;)

ra

Lame title but the render is awesome!  :o
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

dhavalmistry

you are right.....lame title....but awesome render!!....I think the clouds could use more work tho!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: njeneb on December 04, 2010, 02:49:12 PM
Naming is difficult...
The ice is really great. I like the rest also, except where the rocks have the dark lines at their bases. I think snow would have drifted to cover that.

Yes the dark lines is perhaps a bit strange, but I kept it the way it is since I don't think it isn't that inaccurate. The slope is >80 degrees so snow wouldn't lie there.
I made one version which covers the stones as well but the surface looked to smooth and especially way too thick.
So I made one snowlayer for the ground with intersect underlying and one layer on the stones with intersect favour depressions.
This way I could at least get some thick snow look, but it did not allow me to give full coverage without loosing smoothness (it results in razorsharp spikes everywhere).
Besides that, like I told, it isn't that inaccurate. Perhaps a little odd indeed.

Quote from: Hetzen on December 04, 2010, 03:26:48 PM
The 'Look' is excellent as always, but I don't think you need all those trees up that mountain Martin. I think your image would look better if they were left on the bank and maybe up that mid left ridge.

Also your clouds don't seem to have much definition, I would have thought if they were clouds they'd have more bellows in them, or if it's blown snow, then thinner and whispier. Sorry, atm they don't look convincing.

I looked at it again and you may be right about the trees. I used masks from World-Machine so the coverage is quite natural (no trees in eroded areas). I think an altitude restriction will take care of it all.

I kept the clouds because I really liked the centre part of it. I considered adding another layer and mask this one out at the centre, but the rendering took sooo long :(

Quote from: neuspadrin on December 04, 2010, 02:49:34 PM
Wow, beautiful. Love the wisps of snow drifting across the ice. And guessing thats some new usage 2.2 clouds going on for the summit? Nice.

Yup ;D

Quote from: Seth on December 04, 2010, 03:28:27 PM
the clouds are a bit strange, on the right part, they look like just plain white paint.
the ice and snow on it look good but as njeneb stated, the dark lines at the base of the rocks look a bit odd.
mmmmh I'd say let's wait for the real final render to be done to judge this one ;)

I always have arguments with TG2's lame glow controls. Always at the side of the sun there's this ridiculous bright glow. If I set both to 0 then still it is there.
As you can read above I kept the cloud because of its centre, which looks very nice imho. I tried to reduce the diffuse colour of the cloud but then the centre would look like an ash cloud :(

I'll continue to fine-tune this one tomorrow :)
Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Martin

Seth

I understand why you kept this center part clouds because it is very good looking indeed,and maybe you populate the all mountain to permit some trees to appear where the clouds disappear ^^
but as you said , maybe you should consider to mask part of it, where they just don't fit to the rest of the render in term of realism and quality  :P

Hetzen

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 04, 2010, 06:01:20 PM
I looked at it again and you may be right about the trees. I used masks from World-Machine so the coverage is quite natural (no trees in eroded areas). I think an altitude restriction will take care of it all.

I don't think it's the masking really. I'd say it's the limitation of using the same model. I think you would get away with using it on the bank, and maybe up the ridge. But all over the mountain? No.

Dune

Perhaps setting the displacement offset to -0.5 or so in the stones surface will get rid of their black bottom. I agree with the others about some adjustments which could make it a very , I say, Very nice render!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hetzen on December 04, 2010, 07:44:35 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 04, 2010, 06:01:20 PM

I don't think it's the masking really. I'd say it's the limitation of using the same model. I think you would get away with using it on the bank, and maybe up the ridge. But all over the mountain? No.

Ghehe, that's a bit funny actually :) I see why you think it is one model, since all of them are leafless. Actually it are 8 different species :)
If you look through my older pictures you'll recognize this whole somewhere else, only not during winter ;)

Nonetheless I will see how it will look with a more stringent altitude constriction.

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2010, 04:05:21 AM
Perhaps setting the displacement offset to -0.5 or so in the stones surface will get rid of their black bottom. I agree with the others about some adjustments which could make it a very , I say, Very nice render!

Yes I could try that indeed, although it will also shrink the stone instead of "sinking" it only.

bobbystahr

Dunno where i was in 2010 but I totally missed this...I like it myself and have not the experience with virtual ice to really comment (now real ice....THAT'S another story altogether
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Never saw this one either ??? Nice one.
It has been eaten.