Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Image Sharing / Re: Spot on! Light objects - my go at visible lights
« Last post by N-drju on Today at 06:27:21 PM »
Well, well... I tried to reproduce your "stack of lights" solution for creating "god rays" and it was successful too! It works the same way - the more suns you have in a scene, the smoother the rays and shadows will be. Here are my attempts:

77718-0

So it indeed looks great. You just need to remember that you have to divide the sunlight power between all sun objects or you'll end up with ever brightening light source (that's why the third image turned out a bit overexposed ;)).

Unfortunately, each added sunlight also adds render time. I don't know why. :-[ In your examples you said that all renders took exactly the same amount of time to complete. I couldn't accomplish it (yet). But maybe what works for the spotlights, does not necessarily have to work for the sunlight(s)?

Anyway, sunlight divided by four gives quite a decent effect and it's well worth the time if you ask me. Your idea is a good solution for the god ray sharpness as well, which also tends to be one of the most problematic features that we struggle against.
Terragen Discussion / Re: NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge Participation Poll
« Last post by Danny on Today at 05:36:22 PM »
Are we going to be allowed to use other Apps like World Machine to help out with initial terrain forms?  Or plugins like Classic Erosion?

Also, are there different categories (multiple winners) or just one winner in the end?

Not meaning to complicate things, but it might be cool to have a couple categories, so you could have a category for "Pure Terragen" which means no additional 3rd party plugins, or apps like WM, and another category that's "Anything Goes".  Just a thought...

Derek

3rd party terrain generators as well as Daniil's erosion will be allowed. There will not be multiple categories. One challenge. Again detailed rules will be laid out soon.
Cheers
Are we going to be allowed to use other Apps like World Machine to help out with initial terrain forms?  Or plugins like Classic Erosion?

Also, are there different categories (multiple winners) or just one winner in the end?

Not meaning to complicate things, but it might be cool to have a couple categories, so you could have a category for "Pure Terragen" which means no additional 3rd party plugins, or apps like WM, and another category that's "Anything Goes".  Just a thought...

Derek
Terragen Discussion / Re: NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge Participation Poll
« Last post by Danny on Today at 03:45:31 PM »
"I am not in favor of WIP during the contest.
Some people might feel "scared" by some users right at the beginning of the contest just by viewing the wip of some works."

I read that and all I could think is: Life is tough, buy a helmet. It's supposed to be a fun learning experience for everyone, so if you can't handle a friendly competition, how will you handle the real conflict that is constant in adult life. Maybe a snowflake contest next year to accommodate that?

I see some of the stuff here and I think "Wow, I never, ever would have thought of that. Nice work." Not "Give up and run away." I expect to get clobbered by people far more creative than myself here, and I've been in the VFX trade for nearly 20 years.

Photogammetry terrian should be excluded, but I'd say you're free to use imported plants, props, images, all of that as long as the terrain, water and sky are all generated within Terragen's procedural engine. Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. Sack up, experiment, and have fun.

Silencer,
  I am not sure how long you have been around the PS forums, maybe you have been lurking for a while or operating under another profile, it doesn't matter either way. If you are new, let me give you a bit of history about these challenges, People have gotten spooked/deterred by WIP's threads and tend not to put in days or weeks of work into a challenge they feel they have no chance of winning. That was the intention of omitting the WIP's. That's it .. No one said anything about people running away from life or any other psychiatric analysis you have written above. I think you are way out in Leftfield with all that however you are entitled to your opinion. I look forward to your involvement once we get going.

As with other NWDA Contests detailed rules will be laid out by NWDA once we kick off. It looks like around January 1st for the official start. (We might start the WIP's a bit earlier)

Thank you for your interest   

Hilarious gif  ;D  If the time zone is right (and I'm home) I may well watch and chime in, likely by chat or something (if I can see how it all works). Never done it.

Very nice image indeed.
Open Discussion / Re: Nikon D850: Hercules Rising
« Last post by Kadri on Today at 02:01:51 PM »

Nice videos.
The beginning shots looked nearly like renders too to me.
Looks like there is static strong local artificial lighting. That could be the one of the reasons maybe.
Kids.....
We would have to start with "history of noise 101 when applied to computer graphics" Really?
It doesn't matter is you just jumped into using something new or have been at it a while. Find something you like and find out how it is done.  No one, except a few, is rich enough to buy "the complete beginners guide to all things blue nodes"
Just be glad we have moved on from dot matrix printing for amusement. ;D
"I am not in favor of WIP during the contest.
Some people might feel "scared" by some users right at the beginning of the contest just by viewing the wip of some works."

I read that and all I could think is: Life is tough, buy a helmet. It's supposed to be a fun learning experience for everyone, so if you can't handle a friendly competition, how will you handle the real conflict that is constant in adult life. Maybe a snowflake contest next year to accommodate that?

I see some of the stuff here and I think "Wow, I never, ever would have thought of that. Nice work." Not "Give up and run away." I expect to get clobbered by people far more creative than myself here, and I've been in the VFX trade for nearly 20 years.

Photogammetry terrian should be excluded, but I'd say you're free to use imported plants, props, images, all of that as long as the terrain, water and sky are all generated within Terragen's procedural engine. Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. Sack up, experiment, and have fun.

Open Discussion / Re: Nikon D850: Hercules Rising
« Last post by pokoy on Today at 12:15:44 PM »
Stunning but it doesn't look "real".
I guess it is but there certainly is some (heavy) post production. One thing you can see clearly is that the trees keep the same lighting although the sun rises and the sky gets brighter, those are the shots that tend to look artificial. Still, fantastic footage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything