Recent posts

Terragen Discussion / Re: New external drive Tg4 can...
Last post by Matt - March 11, 2024, 08:10:35 PM
Cool. Does this work if only part of the folder structure needs to change, e.g. just the drive (volume)? And what about other nodes besides image map shaders? I think it would be useful to have a node-agnostic string replacement.
Function Node General Discussion / Dose someone consider to write...
Last post by yl2811 - March 11, 2024, 06:51:53 PM
From my perspective, terragen is only one-step close to release its true power, I had seen the procedual PBR texture and curvature function in terragen but I think If there is an ambient occlusion node as a mask will be better, because in many cases you will need to blend two object to increase realism, I had tried to find solution for AO mask for month(including screen space reprojection) but there will still be many major artifact exist by using that, I am sure bring AO node into reality will be a great help for terragen, for the current several version 4.7.15 above user had ability to export obj(force-displacement) out which means It will be procedual objects, in addition with AO node we can make terragen a run-time substance painter and environmental generator, creating realistic hyperdetailed procedual terrain and object integration, substance edition simultaneously will be the feat even blender and unreal can't do for now.
Image Sharing / Re: The Rough-Hewn Shore
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 11, 2024, 06:35:52 PM
Ok I see.
If deferred rendering is enabled the quality of the shader calculations are determined by the AA setting.
The consequence of this is that you don't need old-style high detail, like 0.9. That settings creates subpixel sized micropolygons which all need to be sampled at AA8 or AA10. That's a lot of overhead.
That's the reason I suggested to render with detail 0.6 instead. In the majority of cases this creates enough geometry detail and the remainder is for AA to work on.
Announcements / Re: RPC / Scripting in Terrage...
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 05:20:04 PM
tg_replace_image_map_paths.py is a Python script which allows you to re-path the filename parameter for Image Map Shader nodes in the current project.  This can be useful if your texture maps have been relocated to another drive, etc.

tg_replace_image_map_paths_gui.jpg

It's available for download at git-hub: https://github.com/RedMawVFX/tg-replace-image-map-paths
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 05:09:30 PM
I've written a quick python script which basically does the copy/paste that Matt suggested.  It's limited to Image Map Shader nodes only.  It's available for download on git-hub here: https://github.com/RedMawVFX/tg-replace-image-map-paths.  I'll post this in the forum announcement rpc thread too.
Last post by Matt - March 11, 2024, 04:23:23 PM
If you can load the .tgd file into a text editor it should be possible to do a replace-all text replacement of the volume name with the new path. Is the file too big to do this?
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 02:36:47 PM

I don't seem to have the option to export gathered project but as non of the assets are loaded into the project how would this work?
Would i then move all the assets into a folder for the project?
Image Sharing / Re: The Rough-Hewn Shore
Last post by schmeerlap - March 11, 2024, 02:27:28 PM
Thanks Martin. The scene took 3hrs 15 min to render with the standard renderer. AA 6, Microdetail 0.9, both defer checkboxes ticked. I revisited the rocks, made a few adjustments, and made a crop render over a section of the rocks with AA 10, and a reflective shader to get a wetter feel to the rocks, doing that bumped the render time up for that crop from 12 min to 48 min, with not much more bang for my buck in terms of noticeable improvement. Hopefully the new computer I purchased recently will be returned to me repaired (power supply developed a fault soon after I received it) and I'll be able to radically reduce the time of my renders.
Last post by james adamson - March 11, 2024, 02:13:18 PM
So the original all that has changed is the external drive name and two paths have been added in the string.

so it was.  Volumes/LaCie/project_name/Shots/shot_name

The setup now is Volumes/LaCie RAID VD 0/JAMESADAMSONVFX/project/project_name/Shots/shot_name

The weird name for the external drive was automatically generated when I striped it into one drive.

Thanks again.
James
Last post by Kevin Kipper - March 11, 2024, 01:48:49 PM

Can you provide an example of how the file paths have changed?  For example, were the image map file paths previously in the project/Project_Assets folder, or located randomly across the hard drives/network?  I'm asking in order to get a better idea of the type of script you would need to address this type of issue. 

Another idea might be to use the "Export Gathered Project" option.  This will save all the contents to a folder you specify, including texture maps, and re-path them in the gathered project.