Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Terragen Discussion / Re: Card Shadows and God Rays
« Last post by Hannes on July 21, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
I'm not sure if I get you right, Jordan. As far as I understood you're trying to create godrays by using a card with an image map or a PF.
I did a test. See images below. I tried the internal TG card object with an image map in the opacity slot, and as a comparison also an object with deleted faces to see if there's a difference between these two methods. Both objects create godrays.
Then I made the TG card invisible, and you can see clearly, that the godrays are still there. Of course they are less visible because there is a bright background.
Is this, what you're trying to achieve? Sorry, maybe a silly question, but did you check "receive shadows from surfaces" in the cloud's quality tab?
Image Sharing / Re: Dune's 2DFlame Card
« Last post by luvsmuzik on July 21, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Maybe you need to lower the camera a bit. Now it seems like the flames are stopped by the shed's awning.
I'd say, you need to move the cloud layer a little upwards. The glow occludes the wood pile.
Did both of those, scaled up the fire, made the glow rather smoky with a little cloud.

First image here no filters, second image is adjusted. I don't know if it is my mac stuff or me, so I made a brighter one. :)
Image Sharing / Re: Nebulae
« Last post by Denis Sirenko on July 21, 2018, 08:11:38 AM »
DocCharly65, thanks!

And I scattered a few stars before publishing another render.

83510-0
Image Sharing / Re: Cabin on Phillpott Lake
« Last post by mhaze on July 21, 2018, 07:16:08 AM »
Nice work, great little cabin.
Image Sharing / Re: Cabin on Phillpott Lake
« Last post by masonspappy on July 21, 2018, 07:09:40 AM »
All, thanks much for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

Nice one. Love the colors here!
My only minor crit is that somehow the house is out of proportion compare to the surroundings. It could be that my eyes are playing with me but this is how I see it.
@archonforest: Good point. I think the problem is with those trees - leaves aren't quite proportional.
« Last post by WASasquatch on July 21, 2018, 01:52:08 AM »
For some reason when I use a card to create shadows, there are zero god rays like if you use a cloud layer and image map.

I have the card hidden to camera, but visible to other rays, and cast shadows enabled. Is this just not possible without clouds?

you at very least need a thick atmo as it the reaction of the light with the atmo or cloud.

Oh, yeah. To clarify, I have a 0 falloff cloud layer matching the elevation of the card, with sharpness to 10, and played with all sorts of densities from 1 to 0.01 and just nothing shows. With a cloud layer, and same image map, or a PF, you'll get thick god rays with this sort of sharp edges atmosphere with even 0.05 density.
« Last post by bobbystahr on July 21, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »
For some reason when I use a card to create shadows, there are zero god rays like if you use a cloud layer and image map.

I have the card hidden to camera, but visible to other rays, and cast shadows enabled. Is this just not possible without clouds?

you at very least need a thick atmo as it the reaction of the light with the atmo or cloud.
« Last post by WASasquatch on July 20, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
I wonder if you could just take the fire image and blur it a bunch with gaussian, and than make gray scale, adjust exposure, and use as a cloud projection.
File Sharing / Re: Proecural Water Shadow Caustics
« Last post by WASasquatch on July 20, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
Gave it a try. It's a pretty nice program, but it needs a lot of work imo. It uses one base "caustics" which you than just adjust the quality and intensity of, or the "time filter" (which appears to be scale and a combination of other settings). IMO, even on a commercial level, limits you to their vision.

I assume this is because it wishes to obtain a seamless texture in the end. Having to purchase it just to get a height map puts a damper on things too, and defeats the purpose of why I'm making it procedural based on TGs waves.

Additionally these caustics are based on a pool, not an ocean, or rough large lake. A ocean/large lake will have 'dark spots' from raves that completely refract light in another direction creating dark areas accompanying caustics, not just peak ruffles refracting nice lines.
« Last post by Hannes on July 20, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
I'd say, you need to move the cloud layer a little upwards. The glow occludes the wood pile.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10