Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Image Sharing / Exploring II
« Last post by fleetwood on Today at 02:34:18 AM »
Experimenting

BB8 - Video Copilot
Image Sharing / Re: Cirrus sunrise
« Last post by Hetzen on November 19, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
Also, I just noticed, you should try and plug your Sin Scaler 01 into the input of your Warp Input Shader 01 and bypass the Transform Merge Shader 01, that will allow your vector displacement to warp the Sin function set.
Terragen Animation / Re: An own 3D scan of stones
« Last post by Luc Bianco on November 19, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
Hi,

I did top and middle captures.. the idea is more to isolate some stones to can use them as populations.. here a quick test render with one stone from a new 3D capture I did populated among procedural stones shaders

luc
Image Sharing / Re: Cratered VII
« Last post by Stormlord on November 19, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »
Cool Scene!
Like it, colors, scenery, stars...

STORMLORD
Image Sharing / Re: Antarctic landscape
« Last post by sboerner on November 19, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
Oshyan, sorry for the late reply. I've been plugging away on this and wanted to have something to show first. Your comments were very helpful and gave me some good ideas about how to proceed. Sometimes the high-level concepts get overlooked when you get into the weeds of network building. Thank you!
Image Sharing / Re: Antarctic landscape
« Last post by sboerner on November 19, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Joe. I don't blame you for wondering about the authenticity of the mountains. It's a pretty weird looking place. But I agree with your first impression. Overall the panorama is OK but once you look at it closely you can see the mountain shapes aren't really right.

I decided to rebuild it from scratch and have been taking a crash course in heightfields and heightfield operators. So far I've been skating with Terragen, using it mostly to build maps and large-scale scenes based on DEMs. This is my first real project creating detailed terrain from scratch.

Here's where things stand after a couple of days' work. There's no shading yet, just displacements. This began as a Heightfield Generate node modified with a Heightfield Curve Vertical to create the glaciation effect. Then a bit of erosion added with a Heightfield Erode node. This basic scene was taking up to 30 minutes to load and generate the displacements, so I moved all the heightfield nodes into separate files to generate and export the base terrain and erosion (as a difference erosion field) in two .ter files, combining them in the final scene. What a great feature and timesaver! The working file now loads in a split second, and the erosion can be faded and masked as needed.

77237-0

I'm much happier with this because it seems to more closely resemble the original terrain, with its heavily eroded sedimentary rock layers, taluses and debris fields. I can see where some things may need to be tweaked but will wait till it's shaded and properly lit. Thoughts, suggestions and comments welcome.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Things you may not know : Key navigation
« Last post by D.A. Bentley on November 19, 2017, 07:35:23 PM »
Hey there gentleman!

I must have not explained my idea well enough, so I made a little image to illustrate how it might work.  These are modified screens from Modo.  As you can see there is an option to choose between Tablet, or Mouse, and also navigation presets based on the key/mouse/tablet configurations from popular programs like 3DS max, Maya, Modo, Cinema 4D, etc.  So even if a keyboard remapping system was added to Terragen, you could still stick with the "Terragen Default" scheme which would keep you exactly as you are now.  It would just give you options to choose a navigation scheme from another program that you are more used to.

I hope that makes sense now.  :)  I use a Wacom, Mouse & Keyboard myself.  But I only use the Wacom when I am pixel pushing or sculpting.  I am very bad at using it for navigation.  ;)

Derek
Terragen Discussion / Re: Things you may not know : Key navigation
« Last post by bobbystahr on November 19, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »
That would need to be different though, for users who have a Wacom pen and tablet (like me).

and me
Image Sharing / Re: Cirrus sunrise
« Last post by Hetzen on November 19, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
You need to use a Get Position In Texture instead of the Get Position node. The latter works on final render position, the former allows you to distort the position call.
Image Sharing / Re: More Columnar
« Last post by luvsmuzik on November 19, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
TG Creative render at 0.8 micro detail and 6 AA. 10 hour render

This is a larger version of earlier render from great file share Rock Study by mhaze. Minor adjustment to displacements.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10