Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
It's procedural so it calculates data at least partially based on the level of detail and scales needed. So it shouldn't use a huge amount more RAM on a global scale (just as Terragen itself doesn't), because it only has to operate on a relative level of detail high enough for the current camera position.

- Oshyan

Hmm, planets I render are always longer render times than my surface scenes. Once you start packing in surface layers and masks, and added water, it's a lot more complex than shaders being rendered at close range And even at surface scales, the procedural plugin is harsh on RAM, even noted by Daniil.

Example, I took my lunar scene which renders in about 5 minutes at MPD 5 and AA 0.6, and it's still render at orbital scale at 10 minute mark, with stones, and pops disabled.

The Basic gas giant is also relatively very simple, and takes a long time compared to surface scenes.

I feel like even at planetary scales maps for snow looking like this, coupled with other colouring displacement detail, would cripple my system, which again, represents minimum spec, even on my desktop (may be time to start targeting adequate processor groups that can offer what Planetary uses for examples).
Image Sharing / Re: Surreal Strata Outcropping
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 12:38:24 AM »
Psychedelic looking. That last ones background is sure interesting.
Image Sharing / Surreal Strata Outcropping
« Last post by luvsmuzik on May 24, 2018, 11:45:16 PM »
From Kadri's detailed Real Strata Outcropping File Share found here https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24510.0.html

took me awhile to get each little edge... ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again Kadri!
It's procedural so it calculates data at least partially based on the level of detail and scales needed. So it shouldn't use a huge amount more RAM on a global scale (just as Terragen itself doesn't), because it only has to operate on a relative level of detail high enough for the current camera position.

- Oshyan
I'm not sure if you're having issues making the actual terrain shapes, or texturing it with e.g. snow, etc. Making large (global) scale, realistic terrains is a very difficult problem not yet really solved by any software, at least not out-of-the-box. Terragen can do it, but it takes a good amount of effort. There are some existing assets at NWDA and elsewhere that can show you some methods to achieve it. I'd also recommend experimenting with Daniil's *procedural* erosion shader (not the newer heightfield one), since it can cover more area than the heightfield one with good detail. Using that you can make such mountain ranges on a near-global scale fairly easily.

- Oshyan

It's a good thing to note Daniil's procedural erosion plugin requires a good amount of ram, even at smaller scales. I wonder how it'd actually handle at partially global scales.
I'm not sure if you're having issues making the actual terrain shapes, or texturing it with e.g. snow, etc. Making large (global) scale, realistic terrains is a very difficult problem not yet really solved by any software, at least not out-of-the-box. Terragen can do it, but it takes a good amount of effort. There are some existing assets at NWDA and elsewhere that can show you some methods to achieve it. I'd also recommend experimenting with Daniil's *procedural* erosion shader (not the newer heightfield one), since it can cover more area than the heightfield one with good detail. Using that you can make such mountain ranges on a near-global scale fairly easily.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: Terragen on Linux
« Last post by Oshyan on May 24, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »
We are aware. ;)

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: Improvement proposal at instance editing
« Last post by Oshyan on May 24, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
You will be able to open multiple 3D Preview windows again in the future. This was disabled for initial TG4 release due to limitations of RTP.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: group objects to population
« Last post by Oshyan on May 24, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
This capability is not currently supported in Terragen, but we do intend to add it in the future.

- Oshyan
Terragen Support / Re: Procedural Erosion Topic
« Last post by Oshyan on May 24, 2018, 09:55:57 PM »
Does that happen if you post *anything*, or specific content? It may be over-sensitive server protection if you have certain characters or content that looks "suspicious". We've seen a few instances of that from time to time, though it's rare.

- Oshyan
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
anything