Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Terragen Discussion / Lateral Displacement Rendering Times
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 09:26:02 PM »
It seems lateral displacement against the sky is rather fast... But the reason it's actually slow is camera angle and the fact the renderer renders distant terrain.

Why is this? How could this be fixed in the future? This would drastically reduce render times.

I should have took a screenshot earlier, but you can see the whole valley behind this mountain, and just barely the edges of the next cliff (which was also rendered before the foreground).
Image Sharing / Re: More Columnar
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 09:21:55 PM »
You have progressed quite a bit since you first started by adding strata and crack details.  What I do on my images of this kind  is amp up the Enviro Light to 2 - 2.5 to bring out the details in the shadows.  It makes a huge amount of difference.

Not very realistic. You would probably get more realistic results with better texture variation between darks and lights. When things are muddled and smooth the shadows will compliment this.

Additionally, rocks have reflection, while it may not be so prominent to the naked eye.

I use a reflection at 0.5 intensity, with a specular of 0.05-0.1 with a spread of 0.2-0.3 and a index of refraction of 1.12. No ray tracing, but that's due to previewing really. In a final it could add a level of realism, especially with Path Tracing I imagine.
« Last post by Rich2 on Today at 09:10:12 PM »
You have progressed quite a bit since you first started by adding strata and crack details.  What I do on my images of this kind  is amp up the Enviro Light to 2 - 2.5 to bring out the details in the shadows.  It makes a huge amount of difference.
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 07:43:09 PM »
You might try playing with slope/alt limited Fake stones at about 75-150m with a density of about 1, a tallness of about 2.

You might like the ridgy/columny effects. I'll release a testfile here soon.

mhaze Rock Study columnar noise
path trace MPD 0,6 AA6
2 hr 15 min render time

masonspappy grass from File Sharing
mhaze fake stones
cloud setup mhaze

That grass is nice, it looks like it's being swept by a wind heading for the cliff face.
Image Sharing / Re: Keeping my Hand in
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 07:38:25 PM »
I was wondering that myself. It would be a good challenge. The base terrain is available at 1 arc-second resolution. The ground surface is mostly peat. The stone surfaces might be the hardest part, with several centuries of weathering and layers of lichen.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Render freeze
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 07:31:45 PM »
What operating system are you on anyway? It's highly unlikely Windows 10 would freeze when dealing with RAM/Memory. It should end the process, meaning TG would just crash to desktop, with maybe an exception error.

With only 8GB+Commit, in scenes with populations, I often have to experiment with what my system can handle. Usually it will get to about 20gb with about 5gb to spare of commit before TG will just crash to desktop. If I'm holding at 15-16GB of RAM+Commit, holding steady, I know things should be fine, anything happening would likely be due to something else, such as CPU usage with background tasks.
Open Discussion / Re: Rock bottom yet again
« Last post by Rich2 on Today at 06:53:46 PM »
The concept of creating and using money that really isn't money sounds to me to be only one thing: CRIMINAL.
Open Discussion / Re: What is your "flagship" render?
« Last post by Rich2 on Today at 06:48:45 PM »
Back in 2003 when I first got into Terragen.  I accidentally created a "thunderhead".
Image Sharing / Re: Not Really A Desert
« Last post by Rich2 on Today at 06:19:10 PM »
So - How's this?  I moved the trees closer to the camera and relocated the POV.  That's all.
Image Sharing / Re: Keeping my Hand in
« Last post by bobbystahr on Today at 05:38:27 PM »
Well worth the wait! Nicely done. Reminds me of one of my favorite places.

Macleod Stone, South Harris by Steve Boerner, on Flickr

Oh now that's a lovely one as well...wondering if it's ever been modeled
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10