Recent posts

Open Discussion / Re: "Forester" - Terragen Comp...
Last post by Aleksander - April 09, 2024, 10:17:48 AM
Quote from: JoshuaM on November 28, 2023, 12:26:13 AMThis is a longshot but does anyone have a version of "Forester" from 20 or so years ago? Or do any Terragen OGs remember using it? The download link seems to be non-functional on the website.

It is this very cool looking software that seems to work with Terragen 1 and POV Ray. I am planning on using the software for an art project of mine. I love the look of the old school website, I recommend checking it out.

Thank you!
Hi,
I don't know if you still need Forester, but I have original archive. I've purchased Forester on 05/06/2001.
Let me know if you need setup files.
Forester still works on Windows 10.

Regards
Terragen Discussion / Re: getting sloped altitude?
Last post by Dune - April 08, 2024, 03:32:54 AM
I asked him, but he's doubting his intelligence atm. and about to quit.

No, it doesn't, and I can't get my finger on it. A terrain altitude restricted surface shader can be warped by a color and vector displacement, but why it won't warp by the altitudes of the terrain itself eludes me.
So here's two more setups to test for you smarties. It is also possible to 'warp' clouds by the altitudes of a terrain, so why not a set altitude.

Staff/Matt we (I) need something like this. Need may be an overstatement, but I guess for circumstances like a sloping/cascading river it would be good to be able to make a sloping waterline as well. Maybe it's simple to make shader/function that works?
Last post by aknight0 - April 07, 2024, 12:35:53 PM
Dune's a pretty smart guy, did you ask him?   ;D

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=298496

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Would that same solution work for this situation?
Last post by Dune - April 07, 2024, 02:25:04 AM
Nobody smart enough? Here's an example where I would need water altitudes to determine the altitude of a wet waterline on the shore (especially where it's just mud or rock of course). Or the altitudes of the river bed itself as a mask. Slope here is the red line, but I can imagine steeper situations.
Also if no compute terrain is used (like here).
Terragen Discussion / Re: GAEA 2.0
Last post by Nala1977 - April 06, 2024, 06:50:42 AM
i have the early acces and im using it, most of the nodes are disabled because they are being worked on.
The engine and the speed is incredible, light and day compared to gaea 1, there are some nodes that are crazy on what they can achieve like the sandstone and stratify.
When they will iron out all the issues and bug its going to be an amazing software.

What i can tell you so far is the speed is really fast, all erosion process takes very few and you can work basically at 2k resolution in viewport, 4k if you have a good machine. Its really spectacular
Terragen Support / Re: Can't get OCIO to show up ...
Last post by Doug - April 05, 2024, 03:58:53 PM
thanks for putting this up

i got it working and will using it also
Image Sharing / Re: Genesee River
Last post by Dune - April 05, 2024, 10:58:03 AM
Thanks Steve. Your 'cheat' works nicely. Interesting. It would be great if such a method could be used 'in situ', I mean straight in TG. That's what I was aiming for, and still am.
If you pull your displacement out of a line of fractals, it you can use the smoothing filter to get the small detail out, pull it to a sphere then, raised a bit of course.
I was just experimenting with strata, but they are too hard, now I'm trying get altitude, sinus and soft max and min, but they are still kinda waves, so I pushed them one side with a warp+tilt&shear (Vdisp might work too).

Your riverbed is very nice!
Image Sharing / Re: Genesee River
Last post by sboerner - April 05, 2024, 10:03:07 AM
Saw your experiment in the other thread, very nice. The approach I ended up using is a bit of a cheat. It uses a vector displacement map generated from the riverbed and surrounding terrain. The VDM is then blurred slightly in Photoshop and used to displace a lake object or sphere and offset from the base terrain.

The line for the VDM is pulled out of the main network after the riverbed and banks have been displaced but before detailed displacements and fake rocks. The amount of blur depends on the scale. The more blur, the faster the water. My scale is 2 pixels per foot, and the blur I use is between 0.5-1 pixel.

Because this is a cheat you have to watch for places where water wouldn't naturally flow. If you're careful, the VDM can be edited in Photoshop to correct some of these errors. Others can probably be fixed with smoothing, etc., but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I'll attach an early test (very rough) that shows how it works with a taller waterfall. This one was about 12 feet, historically much too high for this landscape.
Image Sharing / Re: River test
Last post by sboerner - April 05, 2024, 09:45:44 AM
This looks very good. I'd say descending water may be *the* hardest thing to simulate.
Image Sharing / Re: River test
Last post by Stormlord - April 05, 2024, 08:19:06 AM
Descendin water is hard to simulate, so well done for "JUST" an experiment....

STORMLORD