Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Terragen Discussion / Re: question about mask
« Last post by Dune on Today at 06:20:34 AM »
You make it yourself too difficult. I made you a simple starting file. And, btw. a distribution shader needn't have an input for it to calculate slopes/altitudes.

And an example of what I made with this basic setup a few years ago.
Nice. The long focal length is a good choice and really adds to the photographic effect. Keep posting!
Image Sharing / Re: Insert Plane Geometry
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 05:42:29 AM »
Nice idea, Bobby. One to file away for a rainy day . . . or a dry one in this case!
Terragen Discussion / Re: Obj reader mesh displacer?
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 05:26:13 AM »
If the terrain can be procedural, I have a procedural railway setup at NWDA. If it's a set terrain, that won't work.

Thanks, Ulco. I'd heard about your railway setup but hadn't see examples of it yet. Really great, amazing that it's all procedural. My scene is heightfield based, though, and there are bridges and maybe a culvert or two involved, so I think imported objects are the way to go. I have a method worked out that looks promising, very precise and with little or no guesswork. If it works as hoped I'll post the results and try to explain.

Steve
Terragen Discussion / Re: Obj reader mesh displacer?
« Last post by sboerner on Today at 05:15:01 AM »
The Mesh Displacement input works for *non-displaceable* objects (any arbitrary imported geometry), but does not do any subdivision. It takes Displacement as input, not color.  Force Displacement does not need to be on (not should it be) for it to work, though it won't break the effect if it is.

Thanks, Oshyan. That answers a couple of basic questions that I was having a hard time answering. Strange thing though is that the displacements appeared when I reopened the test file I had been working on. ??? Maybe it was a delayed effect of the connect/disconnect bug? Anyway everything is working as expected now.

Here are my results so far. I'm going into some detail in case anyone else might find this info useful. If I've gotten anything wrong, please feel free to correct it.

The displacements are centered at the imported object's pivot point and are proportional to the distance between the pivot point and the surface of the mesh. This means that nothing will happen if you displace a basic plane with a centered pivot because the pivot and the mesh are coplanar. If you want the displacement to affect any 3D shape as a whole – instead of merely displacing the surfaces out from the center – the pivot must be moved outside of the mesh before the object is imported into Terragen. Once I realized this I moved the pivot for my test objects –100m on the Y axis in Maya before freezing transforms and exporting.

Even so, with displacement in the source node set to Vertical Only or Normal, the resulting displacements were all angular based on the distance from the pivot point to the mesh. Here's a displacement from a plane, based on a circular Simple Shape:

Setting the displacement type to Normal and piping the output through a Redirect shader fixes this.

X and Z are set to 0, with the displacement going through Y.

Does this sound right? Everything is working as expected so far. Here is a power fractal displacement applied to a plane.

And the same displacement applied to a cuboid with 1 x 1 x 100 faces.

So the moral is, be careful what you ask for. This is the exact result that I was looking for, but it clearly won't work well for railroad tracks! But it's cool to know how this feature works, and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it.

[Edit: I wasn't able to figure out a way to use a heightfield as the displacement source. That would be useful indeed.]

Indeed, time constraints are often the breaking point for folks who unlike myself have to still go to work every day and it's often hard to find the time in a 'limited time' comp.

absolutely agree...
For one thing, I know that DAZ Studio and associated "artists" are crazy ape bananas about copyrights and stuff like that. Even despite their purported, cheery claim that "all copyright to the image and project files is exclusively yours!".

???

No we aren't. Who bit you? If you downloaded a file without a commercial license and someone told you not to use it commercially then this is your own mistake.
Terragen Discussion / Re: question about mask
« Last post by micvswind on Today at 01:46:49 AM »
But then I can convert that to a grayscale "bitmap" and use THAT as the mask?
Yes, but that would need a render of that mask and reimport in an image map shader. You'd have to figure out the projection then.

The scond point only works if you use it in the same line to the planet input, so the main line of shaders, because that's where the band is calculated from. Not in a lake or so.

here again.
i am sorry for delay to back.and this problem still trouble me.
with you guys's suggestion.and i still can't resolve my problem.displacement to scalar get a mash like image A,and i get a mask with distribute like image B.i use the mask like image C to desire a mask that offset the mask image B,but i failed.
my purpose is show like image D.maybe you guys could help me again.
Image Sharing / Re: Insert Plane Geometry
« Last post by Danny on December 12, 2017, 10:28:14 PM »
Bob was the man, we all miss him around here.
Image Sharing / Re: Spot on! Light objects - my go at visible lights
« Last post by Oshyan on December 12, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
The light beam rendering quality issue is pretty specific to localized light sources, particularly the spotlight. While you can get noise in "godrays", it is almost always easily solved by increasing atmosphere samples a bit, especially when Defer Atmo is enabled. So I don't think it's really useful to use the multi-light workaround for that situation.

- Oshyan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10