Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Terragen Discussion / Re: Merge Populations?
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 07:25:53 PM »
You'd have to merge 2 objects first then (until better is available), but they'd always be at the same distance from eachother.

Indeed, and before I had unlimited pops I made groups of plants as .obj and converted them to .tgo. but they were things like cactus that didn't mind being sunk in the sand, or bullrushes that I centered under the water in any case.

Not a bad idea. Though reminds me of the broken packs from free sites with all the plants in one obj, at same location xD So fun to pick apart.
« Last post by bobbystahr on Today at 07:06:10 PM »
You'd have to merge 2 objects first then (until better is available), but they'd always be at the same distance from eachother.

Indeed, and before I had unlimited pops I made groups of plants as .obj and converted them to .tgo. but they were things like cactus that didn't mind being sunk in the sand, or bullrushes that I centered under the water in any case.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Node order in graphs
« Last post by D.A. Bentley on Today at 06:58:30 PM »
More on my second point. It doesn’t matter for cloud layers but the ordering has meaning for surface shaders, so decisions made there affect cloud layers too (for consistency).

Is this because Surface Nodes build on top of each other, while Cloud Nodes get their ordering more from their elevation and thickness? 
Terragen Discussion / Re: God Rays Test File
« Last post by D.A. Bentley on Today at 06:54:10 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks for the tip/suggestion!
Derek
« Last post by WASasquatch on Today at 06:46:00 PM »
I think what Bobby means is having two object types being planted through just one populator. I remember Oshyan as saying that they are considering such option in future releases.

This is indeed something to think about, because each new object population takes a bit of your RAM memory. Consider one population vs. three separate ones? The more textures an object has, the greater the difference in memory usage will be.

Seems to me the RAM usage is entirely dependent on your object, not the population. The population is just a string of text denoting population locations and the object orientation (rotation/angle). The population size also doesn't seem to related to the full object size (at least as a whole in MB of the object) in repetition, as if it was, there is no way I could do a 1km population of this treee I have at 500+mb. Seems to be almost similar to game engine logic, and the same tree instance is used at different locations making the overall memory usage not as big as the object duplicated at each position (in memory).
File Sharing / Re: Multi-Layered Clouds
« Last post by D.A. Bentley on Today at 06:45:08 PM »
Very clever. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for teaching me how to correctly spell "clever."  I have been spelling it like the knife all these years.  haha!

Derek
Image Sharing / Re: Gaea Mountain
« Last post by freedomfries on Today at 06:36:02 PM »
I was gonna say it looks like a shit ton of plants....
Just wanted to ask if anyone else would find it helpful to have a multi-threaded version of the Heightfield generate node?  I for one do this technique all the time to bake out a bitmap (EXR) from some DEM data using the Heightield generate node, and the Use shader input.  It takes a long time even when baking out an 8k map, and I do 16k, and 32k maps.

If more TG users find this would be useful, Planetside may consider adding it to their list of features to work on in the near future.  Just a thought...

Derek
Image Sharing / Re: Steampunk Project
« Last post by Dragonfire on Today at 04:03:03 PM »
Surreally ( is that a word?) nice!

Thank you much!

Some see guitins and the horns of the end of the world, an aspect over which one can philosophize.
Image Sharing / Re: Cross Country Rock
« Last post by luvsmuzik on Today at 02:01:13 PM »
As with all of your work, very unique and dramatic. The changes make this image and the lighting so effective. Well done again.  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything