Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Terragen Discussion / Re: Rock Won't Displace
« Last post by treddie on September 20, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
I don't see displacement out at the edges.  It's as if the rock has been bump mapped, not displaced.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Displacement to Vector Question
« Last post by treddie on September 20, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
I am assuming my choice of "Along normal" should work.

76377-0

But now that I read your post more carefully, It seems that you can't ADD lateral features without the displacement shader after the compute normal.  Which makes sense because the green is pointing normal to the planet surface, which is a big sphere, which at the given camera distance might as well be all straight up, because the area visible in the scene is so small relative to the planet diameter?
« Last post by Tangled-Universe on September 20, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
But not all vectors are pointing directly upwards...Even the tops of the mountains are pointing in varying directions that are only roughly pointing straight upwards.  If instead, I use the Displacement Shader to Scalar function, then the green is replaced with white.

I can't see all your nodes, but I think it's an illusion. What I see on the preview is that all surfaces are upwards displaced surfaces from the base planet. Without a compute terrain/normal node and a displacing shader following it you can not create lateral features, unless you use a redirect shader before the compute terrain/normal. That's pretty much the rule of thumb and is not what I'm seeing here.

Displacement shader to scalar converts the vector of each point to a single scalar value, thus it loses its colour information, simply because it's not a vector anymore, "just" a value.
Terragen Discussion / Boolean Add for object intersections
« Last post by treddie on September 20, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Is there a way to find the intersection of objects in a scene?  For instance, I am trying to create a contour, or rather, an intersection edge for a terrain and a lake, but there seems to be no way to get to the lake's mesh coordinates, let alone the terrain's.  I want to find the intersection between the two that I can then add a thickness to, to make a contour shape mask around land masses in an ocean.  If I could apply a Boolean Add to the two meshes, that would work, but again, the Lake node does not allow access to its surface mesh (there are no functions you can connect a Lake object to).

So, so far,...Oh, I can't resist...this problem is..."dead in the water".
« Last post by treddie on September 20, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
But not all vectors are pointing directly upwards...Even the tops of the mountains are pointing in varying directions that are only roughly pointing straight upwards.  If instead, I use the Displacement Shader to Scalar function, then the green is replaced with white.

Image Sharing / Re: Retreating ice, etc.
« Last post by bobbystahr on September 20, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
I like em both a lot but prefer the former....maybe it's the autumn chill in the air up here these days.....
Image Sharing / Re: More Columnar
« Last post by bobbystahr on September 20, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
Playing with simple shape shader and ambient occlusion.

Nicely done.
Image Sharing / Re: Croc Overhang
« Last post by bobbystahr on September 20, 2017, 06:24:38 PM »

Nice.
Those rock studies are addicting. I play since 1-2 months without making any real image Bobby :)

Have you messed around in a Dune project file...that's where I had success with this.
Open Discussion / Re: MPC Alien Covenant VFX breakdown
« Last post by bla bla 2 on September 20, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
I go of  buy that. :)
Image Sharing / Re: Retreating ice, etc.
« Last post by bla bla 2 on September 20, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
Nice, Ulco. ;) 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10