Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Image Sharing / Re: Megen's Mesa
« Last post by otakar on September 20, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
Great colors and nice sharpness. Really accomplished render. PS could easily feature this for a while.
Terragen Support / Re: Terragen 4 crashes while browsing library
« Last post by Oshyan on September 20, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Can you try going into the Preferences and deleting the library database? The option for this is under Preferences -> Library -> "Delete Library Database". Please be aware that this will lose the data on any items you have added to the Library. If you don't want to take this step then you can try clearing the previews, which is another option in the preferences there.

- Oshyan
Terragen Animation / Re: Animated clouds to Maya
« Last post by Oshyan on September 20, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
Yes, admittedly that is a harder situation to handle with the current lack of cloud import/export. If you can lock down the look of your cloud shapes (i.e. you do not need to adjust cloud shapes based on the path of the plane, but rather the other way around) as well as the camera path before you animate the plane, then you might be able to create a workflow where you finalize the Terragen clouds, render them out to a sequence along with a depth pass, and use those to setup your plane flight path. You'd have to do some work in compositing to get the correct occlusion of the plane behind clouds since there's no way to export out the clouds as a holdout object for Maya.

We are actively researching OpenVDB import/export for the future, which should help a lot with these kinds of projects.

- Oshyan
Terragen Discussion / Re: Boolean Add for object intersections
« Last post by Oshyan on September 20, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »
It's something we have talked about having in the future, but I don't know if Matt has any specific plans or time frame for it. I can say it has not been discussed as something that would be added soon, though.

- Oshyan
« Last post by treddie on September 20, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
Thanks Oshyan.  Are there such plans in the near future?
Terragen Discussion / Re: Rock Won't Displace
« Last post by Oshyan on September 20, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »
Fleetwood is probably using the Displacement input of the surface shader for the rock and not the Mesh Displacer.

Ulco, even in Fleetwood's non-displaced example you can already hopefully see and understand why a 20 face displaced rock would look different than an 80 face displaced rock *even with the same displacement shader*. It's because the base rock shape changes, and thus the displacement is based on different underlying shapes. It's the same as if you were to import a regular 3D model and displace it - a frog model displaced with the same shader as a horse model would produce different results. This is no different, changing to an 80 face rock does not really make "a more detailed/smooth version of the existing rock", it makes a different rock with more faces. The number of faces is essentially a component of the aesthetic of the rock.

- Oshyan
« Last post by Oshyan on September 20, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
Unfortunately there is no such functionality to detect intersections or distances between things in Terragen at present (aside from specific things like the Distance Shader, which is based on the camera location).

- Oshyan
Image Sharing / Re: Two Moons Sunset
« Last post by bobbystahr on September 20, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »
Agree with the rest...any idea what planet we're viewing from, hee hee hee
Image Sharing / Re: Megen's Mesa
« Last post by bobbystahr on September 20, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
I guess this is the final then...

(Attachment Link)

I'd agree, nice job fixing the black line...I always thought the ground looked accurate, at least to where in the world I live...
Terragen Discussion / Re: Displacement to Vector Question
« Last post by digitalguru on September 20, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
You're looking at those displacement values through the wrong node.

You can sample the terrain as vector displacement but it needs to get the value of the displacement against an undisplaced point, that point being a Terragen planet which has no displacement.

So you would pipe the terrain at any point the graph into a displacemet to vector shader then into the luminosity function of default shader (with diffuse and spec turned down) we just want the pure color, then plug this into the surface shader of a duplicate of the Planet node. Then just render the duplicate planet. The reason for using a planet is that it will then account for the curvature of the planet.

I made a tutorial that goes through all the steps a while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKfAeEPDhY

and an example file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/abl0ypy311q7ner/terragen_vector_tutorial_end.tgd?dl=0

render the Render Bake Vector node.

EDIT; Just seen your latest post - you can use any type of displacement - lateral works just as well.

With the displacement to vector node you can plug this in anywhere, before or after the compute terrain.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
anything