Recent posts

Image Sharing / Re: Canyon series 1
Last post by Dune - March 27, 2024, 11:37:23 AM
Didn't read it well. I see now.
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 27, 2024, 11:20:09 AM
No as I said I deleted all the nodes except the 2 simple shapes which create the walls +1 compute and lambert and only those 4 nodes take 45 minutes to render vs 37 sec non-PT.
Terragen Discussion / Re: Pixel gaps in rendering
Last post by cyphyr - March 27, 2024, 10:12:28 AM
I have access to most of the Mega Scan Library, if you post  (or private pm) the file I can almost certainly re-create it without you having to share the commercial file.

Alternatively, try to convert the exr to a 16bit tiff and see if the issue remains. I doubt the image would look any different after the conversion.
Last post by Dune - March 27, 2024, 02:16:51 AM
I can imagine :(  Strange that it takes so long, it doesn't look overly complicated, and displaced. Too many shaders before a compute perhaps? Perhaps it would be possible to make the scene with 2 cubes as walls. You'd only miss the subtle transition with the floor then, but it might be faster (no compute needed, I'd say).
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 26, 2024, 08:01:26 PM
I agree with you about the vertical one being the most interesting, for the same reasons.
The scene does not contain any kind of reflective shader. It's really only one single lambert shader with bright orange colour which does all the work in conjunction with GI.

I'm afraid I have to postpone my plan to do a PT render of it.
I just trimmed down the entire setup to basically only 2 simple shape shaders which create the canyon and somehow that takes 45 minutes vs 37 seconds for non-PT.
This means that my 5'ish hour render for that vertical one will take 20 days. No thanks haha...
There must be a reason for why TG doesn't like this particular and I guess rare situations, since normally it's only a couple of times slower, not 2 orders of magnitude.
Last post by Dune - March 26, 2024, 12:24:45 PM
If you ask; the latter, vertical one appeals most to me, because of the contrasts. PT has 'trouble' with tiny displacements+reflection, that may be the 'problem'. But even a very small PT render will show the differences, I'd say.
Last post by Tangled-Universe - March 26, 2024, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2024, 02:34:21 AMThanks Martin. Interesting fact about the cache detail. I wonder how it would look in PT.
Welcome!
Yeah me too, but somehow it's crazy slow with PT. I might try Thursday overnight since I won't need my PC until Friday noon.
Which one should I choose you think? I probably can't render it bigger than 1280 wide/tall.
Last post by Dune - March 26, 2024, 02:34:21 AM
Thanks Martin. Interesting fact about the cache detail. I wonder how it would look in PT.
Image Sharing / Re: Exoplanet SciFi (MP4 2024)
Last post by Uwe Kronemann - March 25, 2024, 07:18:13 PM
NEU LINK TO DAILYMOTION
https://dai.ly/k3f3guaWej0VIHAkPxo
Terragen Discussion / Re: Pixel gaps in rendering
Last post by sboerner - March 25, 2024, 03:29:07 PM

QuoteIf you like, can you share an .exr which exhibits this behaviour?
Hi Martin -- The EXR file is a commercial file from Megascans . . . but I bet it wouldn't be hard to make a generic file that would trigger the error. Now, I think the error is benign (or it simply cancels any displacement or bump). At any rate it's probably not related to the artifacts as I first thought. But let me get back to you.

QuoteThis could an image filter problem where a sharpening filter produces negative pixel values. Try using the Cubic B-Spline filter, it might help.
Pokoy -- This makes sense. I can see how a filter might be the culprit. I've always used Mitchell-Netravali. 

For post effects, Soft Clip Effect, Compensate Soft Clip, and Contrast (0.25) are all enabled. I believe these are the default settings. (Up until recently I always rendered straight to EXR and did not worry about the Tonemap tab. But I've started rendering to 16-bit TIFF because they import very nicely into Lightroom. So now, it seems, these settings are applied.)

It's probably best to try one thing at a time. I'll start by setting the filter to Cubic B-Spline.

Thanks!