Author Topic: Stupid  (Read 161 times)

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
Stupid
« on: January 25, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
There must have been some mighty strong wind out there if the rocks got bent so much. ;D

78672-0

But seriously, just trying to laterally displace fake stones. Vector displacement shader is not a solution. ;)
"Error 404 - pun not found."

Offline luvsmuzik

• luvsmuzik 1995
Re: Stupid
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:25:00 PM »
what was your final multiplier? If you are using a power fractal to displace with remember that multiplies that value. check your distortion in the preview windows of the control boxes.

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
No, that's not it. :) The fractal displacement went okay but then I got that crazy idea that I can further the effect using vector displacement shader with X at -0.2 or so.

I just can't seem to get how to horizontally (laterally) displace an object with power fractal. I know it requires computed normal, but regardless where I put it, nothing happens to my rocks / displacement.
"Error 404 - pun not found."

Offline Hetzen

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
Depends on how large your stones are. The compute normal or terrain needs to be of a relevant size to work out how to map your stones to be able to give you the distortion you're looking for.

So if your stones have a relative size of 1m, then your patch size in the compute node needs to be smaller than that to accommodate the scale of distortion you're applying.

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »
Yes, and render time will increase. You could use VD without compute normal (only a XYZ scalar will sometimes help), but need some variation, and it's a bit tricky. Three or four variations (X+, X-, Z+, Z-, that sort of thing) with small vector displacement settings in X and Z from a small sized PF (color not too rough) can do something.
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl