Author Topic: Clouds following terrain revisited  (Read 207 times)

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
Clouds following terrain revisited
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
The title says it all.

It's been a while since I needed anything like that and would now like to implement it to one of my projects.

I tried to follow the acclaimed Martin Huisman's guide but it's not exactly what I need right now. Besides, I think that by now it is slightly outdated.

Is there any good method to provide altitude offset to the clouds directly from the terrain shader? I don't really have time to play around with exporting and converting stuff. Would rather have this done within TG entirely.
"Error 404 - pun not found."

Offline cyphyr

• richardfraser
Re: Clouds following terrain revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:33 AM »
I don't think Martins guide is outdated. It won't work with "Easy Clouds".
You can use the same technique on a procedural terrain. You just need to get some colour info out of the terrain to create a grey scale displacement map that conforms to the terrain.
You could do this by checking the colour tick boxes in the Powerfractal terrain node or adding a y to scalar node between the terrain and the cloud. You also may want to add a colour adjust node.
It is a little tricky working with procedural terrains since being procedural their values are always changing. A bitmap generated terrain will be the same no matter how far it is offset in the y axis. A procedural terrain will change. You will have to compensate for this.
www.richardfraser.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

i7 5930 @3.5Ghz, 32Gb
i7 2600k @3.4Ghz, 16Gb
i7 980 @3.33Ghz, 16Gb

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
Re: Clouds following terrain revisited
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
Oh, I see. Darn it, I wanted to skip that greyscale image thingy. :-\ Somehow thought it might be easier.
"Error 404 - pun not found."