Author Topic: Terracoin  (Read 442 times)

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
Terracoin
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if we could mine our own cryptocurrency (TerraCoin - XTC) by the power of the rendering process on our CPU? ;D All of you nerds and geeks out there, I want proposals. ;D
"Error 404 - pun not found."

Offline Upon Infinity

• Raster Master
    • Upon Infinity
Re: Terracoin
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
I was just thinking about this.  Cryptocurrencies use a lot of CPU power but produce nothing actually useful, except maintain the network.  If all that power could be turned toward rendering, we could have a huge global render farm!  Probably Matt himself is the only one here with the tech know-how to implement it, though.
3D Models / Art Prints: www.uponinfinity.com | YouTube | Twitter | Support My Work

Offline jaf

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
I participated in Seti@Home for several years.  I seem to remember they used the software BOINC.  Most likely could be set up to render TG scenes but probably wouldn't get enough participants to make it worthwhile. 
(27Mar18) Ryzen 1800x, 960 EVO 500GB NVME-M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics(391.35), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen 4.1.18

Offline Upon Infinity

• Raster Master
    • Upon Infinity
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Most likely could be set up to render TG scenes but probably wouldn't get enough participants to make it worthwhile.

The only likely way to make it viable would be to make it a general queue dump for many different renderers, I think.
3D Models / Art Prints: www.uponinfinity.com | YouTube | Twitter | Support My Work

Offline N-drju

• A ship in port is safe... well, fine by me.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:53 AM »
I was just thinking about this.  Cryptocurrencies use a lot of CPU power but produce nothing actually useful, except maintain the network.  If all that power could be turned toward rendering, we could have a huge global render farm!  Probably Matt himself is the only one here with the tech know-how to implement it, though.

That would be cool. :) What I was thinking about is that perhaps we could create a new section here on the forum where you could ask people to help you render bits (crops) of your projects. That however would require a GI cahce files along with project files and there is no guarantee the rendered crop images will fit with one another seamlessly when back together again.
"Error 404 - pun not found."