Arctic Sunset with Radar Station

Started by bobbystahr, October 15, 2017, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I decided to have a go at ice and snow and with hannes' fine preset  I developed this scene. Lo Res at the moment but thought I'd post for C&C before spending the hi res time...post away folks.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Gloomy and cold. I would change the large fake stones; perhaps make them bigger, spread them all over the terrain and displace more heavily, interspersed with smaller stones (merge). And what if you soften the clouds a tad, but keep the seed and light?

mhaze

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 16, 2017, 03:12:04 AM
Gloomy and cold. I would change the large fake stones; perhaps make them bigger, spread them all over the terrain and displace more heavily, interspersed with smaller stones (merge). And what if you soften the clouds a tad, but keep the seed and light?

I'd had that thought but where this is the stones aren't that huge.... bottom of the Sea of Agassiz all around here and all the way to the Rockies apparently at it's maximum...just found that out. Calgary was the shoreline area. If y look on a map that'd be one huge body of water.
But I will try one with doubled size stones...was being conservative as the bigger ones I tested didn't seem right. Thanks for the input.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

great concept here, and I like the atmosphere, but almost missed the receiver. One to perfect for sure!

bobbystahr

messed around with the FakeStones, high AA and mpDetail and added sun effects...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

To be honest; I don't think this is working. The sky and light are nice, but I would change the terrain; rougher with smooth patches of snow (displacement intersection). Forget about these large stones, but sprinkle small stones.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 17, 2017, 11:15:22 AM
To be honest; I don't think this is working. The sky and light are nice, but I would change the terrain; rougher with smooth patches of snow (displacement intersection). Forget about these large stones, but sprinkle small stones.

I fear you are correct....will take another run at an arctic scene soon...I was mainly testing hannes' snow and ice preset and any arctic scene I've seen has way more flat in it to be honest. Thanks for the input.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

I have to agree with Ulco. The sky is beautiful, and so is the lighting, but the terrain looks kind of weird. Keep on, Bobby!!!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on October 17, 2017, 03:15:51 PM
I have to agree with Ulco. The sky is beautiful, and so is the lighting, but the terrain looks kind of weird. Keep on, Bobby!!!

Thanks hannes, I'm having a clean up the loose crap in my yard today day as they're forecasting 90 kph winds tomorrow...glad I have a new roof....so maybe tomorrow I climb back on that horse.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well I'm 6 hours into a new render and the oddest thing happened, just trading out a terrain and shader stack I'd saved as a .tgc of a previous arctic scene changed the sky...odd. The 6 hrs is 1/2 way so some time tomorrow as it's near midnite here and I was up early.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I would advice you to build scenes from scratch, and not stack tgc's (unless very small simple ones). Some stacks just don't go well together. Better learning experience too!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 18, 2017, 02:18:39 AM
I would advice you to build scenes from scratch, and not stack tgc's (unless very small simple ones). Some stacks just don't go well together. Better learning experience too!

It was a scene I actually built from scratch Ulco and it was more arctic  looking so I grouped it all with the shaders  I'd set up and saved it and brought it into the good sunset that every one liked, hooked it up and deleted the original stuff. Seems to be working; out at nearly 8 hours the sky is nearly done, heh heh...I did jack up the AA which might be a factor.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Well still imho less than satisfactory. Seems the terrain was contributing somehow to the atmo as I've changed nothing in it. C&C most welcome..Lost all the fake stones I scattered and textured, another mystery....didn't notice till I awoke today as TG was still chugging along on the sky when I crashed.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Dunno what sun setting is....I did a simple edit for exposure decrease, and it looks about same atmo as previous. I like the composition of this. Noise swirls in snow terrrrrific!