Author Topic: TG 4.1.11 - short frequent hangs with TG... CPU threading problems?  (Read 805 times)

Offline archonforest

• !AMIGA RULEZ!
Re: TG 4.1.11 - short frequent hangs with TG... CPU threading problems?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
Yeah i wish but can't download it from the PS site anymore.  Always tells me invalid email... Guess i stick with the 4.0 version.
...many rooms to explore but the doors look the same...

Offline jaf

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
pokoy, do you get "lags" on scenes without objects (trees, plants, 3d models, etc.)?  Are you using RTP when you see the "lags"?
(11/09/17) Ryzen 1800x, 960 EVO 500GB NVME-M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics, Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen 4.1.17

Offline pokoy

• mswee.net
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »
pokoy, do you get "lags" on scenes without objects (trees, plants, 3d models, etc.)?  Are you using RTP when you see the "lags"?
No objects, no RTP - I open TG with the default scene and just saving takes almost a minute while TG freezes showing a blank screen - regardless of local/network location, I have no issues with HD or my NAS whatsoever, my machine runs smoothly otherwise. I was working a bit longer with a scene yesterday and the freezes have been manageable, but sometimes TG decides to take a little longer for some actions. There's no pattern that I can put my finger on, unfortunately.
One thing I should note, every machine I tested so far has 2 CPUs, this might be important to know. I have a single CPU machine here but not sure when I'm going to be able to test that.

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »
I am using a 2 CPU machine here quite often and still do not see these issues. Did I understand right that you are working with a NAS? Is it your *primary* storage for Terragen files and data?

archonforest, are you using free version or do you have a license? You should not need an email to download if you have a license. Or maybe you are trying to login but have not *created a new account on our new website yet*? See the "Returning Customers" page (linked in footer) if so.

- Oshyan

Offline pokoy

• mswee.net
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
I am using a 2 CPU machine here quite often and still do not see these issues. Did I understand right that you are working with a NAS? Is it your *primary* storage for Terragen files and data?...
I'm using a NAS, but saving to desktop or any other local path will hang a bit... however, there will be some entries in the 'latest files' menu pointing to the NAS.

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Interesting. I believe we've had some sporadic reports of issues accessing network drives in the past. I save to a network drive on a local machine here and have no issues though... I really wish we could reproduce these things, but unti/unless we can, we aren't really able to diagnose or fix them.

- Oshyan

Offline pokoy

• mswee.net
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »
So I have some further observations to share, maybe it helps.

It seems that the aborting stage of current preview renderings, be it OpenGL or RTP is causing problems - not always, though. Sometimes TG will hang a bit during this stage and since it seems to abort any current calculations when you save it might be what's causing the lags, not the saving or accessing files or network.

Then, TG hangs for me when I try to open from library. I have to test this one a bit more but so far it just hangs for minutes until I kill the tgd.exe process.