Author Topic: Martin's landscapes  (Read 6022 times)

Offline Martin

Martin's landscapes
« on: July 31, 2017, 05:33:05 AM »
I'm currently experimenting with Rock populations. I always use the fakestones shader, but after using custom models with populations, with procedural displacement and textures on it, I thought it's time to use populations for stones as well.
But the displacement won't work at all. Tried switching off the raytracing, it just made everything explode.
Tried a custom rock object, tried the terragen rocks, nothing seems to work properly.
Also looks like the warp shader and transform shader doesn't work with populations either. Am I missing something, or there's no way to use proper displacement with populations?
I've attached the fakestone displacement render, and the population rock object render with the errors I get with the same displacement.
Also a picture with other object populations with displacement,  it worked before with simple fractal shaders. Is the warp shader- transform shader- and voronoi diff the problem?

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
Re: Martin's landscapes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:37:20 AM »
The rock population is based on an object, whilst fake rocks are procedural, so for the rock object to work properly you need a high resolution (subdivide a few times), and then still, there's no real displacement in RT mode. For non-RT mode you need to be careful about your displacement; too much and the rocks burst out of their (vertex) seams.
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl

Offline Martin

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »
The rock population is based on an object, whilst fake rocks are procedural, so for the rock object to work properly you need a high resolution (subdivide a few times), and then still, there's no real displacement in RT mode. For non-RT mode you need to be careful about your displacement; too much and the rocks burst out of their (vertex) seams.

Oh well damn. Thanks!
Looks like I won't use rock populations. Though I had the impression that displacement works pretty nicely on imported objects. Like buildings. Probably because they were kind of high poly.
For some reason I though terragen subdivides everything. It handles population objects over 1 million polys - and 4000 instances of them. Pretty impressive.

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »
Nice works, are the buildings yours? I guess you're using bumpmapping (so RT mode) here, which goes a long way. Only where you glance past the sides of a wall, you see there's no real displacement. If the buildings are really high poly (not just one side as one polygon), displacement works as well.

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 06:00:31 AM »
Nice works, are the buildings yours? I guess you're using bumpmapping (so RT mode) here, which goes a long way. Only where you glance past the sides of a wall, you see there's no real displacement. If the buildings are really high poly (not just one side as one polygon), displacement works as well.
yeah , it seems it was bump mapping all along. I'm surprised, it looked pretty neat.

And yes, I made them, 3ds max low poly- imported to zbrush and sculpted, weathered, then optimised the mesh and build more complex buildings again in max. Then I used these as populations with procedural textures  in terragen.

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »
Cool stuff.

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
Cool stuff.

Thanks. I think I will post some of my new pictures in this thread. I've been using artstation recently.

Offline inkydigit

• 🍄🍄🍄
    • inkydigit's website
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »
Very cool!
I love the ruin texture, some great ideas, look forward to seeing more:)

Offline Martin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
Very cool!
I love the ruin texture, some great ideas, look forward to seeing more:)

thanks! :)

So ,I have a lot of renders so let's start with the ruin population type of pics.
These are mainly Lord of the Rings inspired environments.

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »
More of the Lotr inspired renders.

Offline Kadri

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »

You might have seen this thread maybe. Quite a read but it could be useful for your work.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20213.0.html

There are many other threads too about displacement with objects if you search of course.

Nice work and models Martin.

Edit: here is another one with Matt's response:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.15.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:13:28 PM by Kadri »

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »

You might have seen this thread maybe. Quite a read but it could be useful for your work.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20213.0.html

There are many other threads too about displacement with objects if you search of course.

Nice work and models Martin.

Edit: here is another one with Matt's response:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19431.15.html

Thank you Kadri!
checked the threads. Yeah it seems it won't work the way I expected(big complex displacement giving the base sphere like rocks the main form  in a population etc) But the minimal -bump map like displacement and texture works like a charm on my building models. :)

Offline J_Con

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »
Nice models. The modular nature of them is pretty cool. Would be nice see them in a Forrest. Taller structures protruding above the canopy and smaller structures in dappled light. A lot of work, I am getting tired just thinking about it . I will add it to my bucket list.

Offline bobbystahr

• Turn, and face the Strange Ch Ch Changes...D Bowie
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
Wow, impressive modeling Martin; and well used in your renders. ***** on this project!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Offline Martin

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »
Nice models. The modular nature of them is pretty cool. Would be nice see them in a Forrest. Taller structures protruding above the canopy and smaller structures in dappled light. A lot of work, I am getting tired just thinking about it . I will add it to my bucket list.

Thank you everyone!
Here's the next batch.
This all started with a new rock cliff- shader. Then I added a new grass hills shader , and it looked nice. So I added trees. And then I thought it looks like Naboo from star wars so I sculpted some naboo inspired stone heads.Then I made some Lord of the rings inspired buildings. Kept adding things. This is what came out of it.