Author Topic: Animation noise  (Read 586 times)

Offline rolland1013

Animation noise
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so bare with me as I'm 1000% sure this topic has been covered before.  I'm still in the process of learning Terragen (version 4) and have started doing some animations.  I've created a desert scene with a basic camera move on it.  The foreground terrain and color map was created in World Machine, the rest in Terragen.  As you can see there is popping going on in the clouds, shadows and several other places.  My question is; how do I eliminate this?  I've written out a GI cache file for a previous animation, but it took 2 days to write out 10 frames.  Then it took 4 hours a frame to render at 960x540 resolution.  This will make it difficult to use in my work in television vfx.  The turn-around times wouldn't allow for revisions in many cases.  Typically I need to render my work in HD or 4K resolution for many of the shows I work on.

Also any other comments/suggestions on my work would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Niel

Offline dorianvan

• Vandegrift Renderings
Re: Animation noise
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
Nice animation. Are you trying to do animation without caching this time? Rendering animation has to be done with cache-ing, as far as I know. One way to eliminate the render time of clouds is to use 3d camera tracking in post and add the clouds in that way. Or the background could be just a still plate rendered in TG, then use a 3d program like max/vray to render the imported geometry/map (no trees). Also, I generally render the cache at half my final output size and it seems to work good. For the render times, maybe share your settings to see what more you can do with the scene as it is.
-Dorian

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »
Also, in a terrain like this, skip the compute terrain (check what it does to your landscape first); that often saves quite some time.
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
You are seeing two sources of popping/flicker here.

In the clouds (more minor, in my view) you are seeing a need for higher cloud GI settings (GI in Clouds tab of GI Settings). We have some improvements in the upcoming 4.1 release which may also help.

On the ground, and more severe (again, in my view), you are seeing some shadow "popping". This will not be fixed by GI settings or caching, it is due to performance-related reduction of detail for geometry behind the camera which is casting shadows onto your terrain. The solution is to use Ray Detail Region Padding (on the Advanced tab of the Render node). In this case since the terrain casting shadows is directly behind the camera you may need to use "360 degree detail", but you can try with Detail in Crop Region or In Camera set at 0.25 or 0.5 to see if that helps with lesser render time than the full 360 Degree Detail.

As Dorian says, for GI caching you can often render the cache at a lower resolution than the final frames. Also the best strategy is to render a "sparse" cache, which means rendering every x frame. Usually rendering every 5th frame to a cache and then rendering with a blend of 3-5 caches works well.

More generally there may be other ways to optimize the render times you're seeing, although use of multiple v3 cloud layers simultaneously will definitely increase render times. Again in version 4.1 we will have some optimizations for this. If you are able to share your TGD files, or at least some of your render and cloud/atmosphere settings, we may be able to help reduce render times without losing quality. If you need to share a file confidentially you can do so to support AT planetside.co.uk.

- Oshyan

Offline rolland1013

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »
Thanks Dorian, Dune and Oshyan.

I've attached the TGD (there's no confidentiality issues with it).  But the World Machine generated .ter file and color map are over 500,000KB, and exceed your attachment limit.

Thx

Offline dorianvan

• Vandegrift Renderings
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:54:03 AM »
Try this one Rolland. Your AA needed to go up to 8 or so. In the GI Settings write a new cache. Go to Sequence/Output tab and hit Render Sequence. Then go back and read the GI Cache. Try blending every 3 frames, 5 or 6 if needed. Then render final frames. If you want you can render out just a crop to test how it looks.
Good luck.
-Dorian

Offline rolland1013

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
Thanks again Oshyan, dorianvan and Dune. 

Your solutions worked.  I set Ray detail region to 360 degree detail, set the AA to 8, and created a sparse GI cache.  Sorry for the slow response, but wasn't able to implement all the suggestions until this week.

Niel

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
Glad to hear that solved your issues. :)

- Oshyan