Author Topic: Hold out objects  (Read 361 times)

Offline DocCharly65

Hold out objects
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »
Has there something changed in the usage of the holdout function in rendering objects?

I tried several times but it seems to have no effect if I choose "hold out" in the rendering functions.

so far I used a workaround by setting all colors of objects to 0 (black) if I want to get the black hold out effect. But at the moment I want to get a holdout mask with some pops with plants having many object parts... to change all parts to black is quite hard...

In TG 3 it was just easily done by setting the object to "Hold out"

What is my mistake?

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
Re: Hold out objects
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
It does appear that Holdout rendering is broken in the latest TG4 version! Surprising that this was not noticed before, thank you for the report. We'll work on a fix which will be available in a future update.

- Oshyan

Offline DocCharly65

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:22:57 PM »
I can understand that it was not so often used. I know only two (forum members) who used it - Hannes and me for our exotic mask-generating to get sharp space ships in motion blurred background.  :)

Offline Hannes

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
I can understand that it was not so often used. I know only two (forum members) who used it - Hannes and me for our exotic mask-generating to get sharp space ships in motion blurred background.  :)

Did I? I don't remember... ;D ;D ;D Getting old...

Offline DocCharly65

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
I thought you used it in your StarWars film for the blying Beatle... but possibly I am wrong... anyway you told me the trick for my viper in the desert being rendered sharp with a motion blurred background...  :)

Offline Hannes

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »
I thought you used it in your StarWars film for the blying Beatle... but possibly I am wrong... anyway you told me the trick for my viper in the desert being rendered sharp with a motion blurred background...  :)

Maybe... I really don't remember. Oh, boy... ::)

Offline SILENCER

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »
Holdouts still not functioning?

For those of you currently vexxed by this, you can always add a constant shader as the last thing in the chain and assign the proper color and alpha values there, then just have comp use the black and white image as a luma matte.