Author Topic: Is there ever going to be documentation for Terragen?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Ethrieltd

• Well, here I am...
    • Youtube SFX Reels
Re: Is there ever going to be documentation for Terragen?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2017, 02:40:15 AM »
There's some middleground between a quick start guide and the idiots guide to, and a massive leap to the encyclopedia galactica.

The update to the GI information is the perfect example. If all the missing sections (fake dark power,etc) are updated to a similar degree by Planetside then more detailed information can be added to the wiki by experienced users.

As a sidebar, I've been playing with the "blooms" and damn, if they don't have massive changes from SMALL numbers. The default 0.1 & 0.25's produced a HUGE bloom. I reduced them significantly. It's things like this that need documenting. Why is it so sensitive and is that sensitivity tied in to another setting of which I'm unaware (and might never find out without some background) of lurking in another tab?

I don't think anybody expects a scientific manual (although I wouldn't turn down an explanation of some of those blues...) but some of the settings don't lend themselves to self explanation. Get those dealt with and we're well on the way.

Offline masonspappy

• "I am my own worst-case scenario"
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 07:29:25 AM »
One more example. Go to this page:  http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_Layers_and_Render_Elements
At the bottom of the page is this line which includes a link in red highlight: For more information on compositing Terragen render elements, refer to Compositing Terragen Render Elements.

Clicking on that link brings the user To this page:

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

(sigh...)

Offline Edmac57

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up MutantPixel. I worked with Terragen all the way back to before version 0.9.43! Back then the community produced tons of really great how-to's and amazing tutorials. Once you saw how it worked, it was game on. I enjoy it when a community "gets it" a new program is exciting and everybody gets behind it. When Terragen went "PRO" with the newer versions, 2, 3, 4... They lost me. I have versions 2 and 3. And to this day, I count it all a big waste of time and money. Back in the early days, the we backed Terragen. I think I'll never buy another piece of their software until they back us!

Offline Mid-Knight Acchan

• https://www65.atwiki.jp/terragen/
    • Terragen 4 japanese wiki
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 03:16:32 AM »
A document, too, is valuable but if there is making an interface a many country language, too, it is very rescued.
If the localization is possible in Mod, I think that I want to be useful for the manufacturing.

The screen is the one to have localized in Japanese a part.
Because it is binary editing, it is fault efficiency :-[
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:35:20 AM by Mid-Knight Acchan »

Offline eapilot

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »
We have also tried working with a number of educational content developers over the years, but only GeekAtPlay actually came through with delivered content.

I saw that GeekatPlay had youtube Terragen4 tutorials published online and gumroad versions available for purchase.  are they the same videos?

Offline Danny

• New World Digital Art
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
We have also tried working with a number of educational content developers over the years, but only GeekAtPlay actually came through with delivered content.

I saw that GeekatPlay had youtube Terragen4 tutorials published online and gumroad versions available for purchase.  are they the same videos?

The Version 4 video sets Vladimir has on his page are the same as the ones available on Gumroad.

Offline mundus

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2017, 05:42:20 AM »
I don't think this is going to happen, with people having lives, y'know! ;D

When your livelihood depends on growing a market segment, having happy and educated customers is one of the number one ways to ensure that future. It used to take me between 3-4 hours a week to make my weekly videos for MODO, but paid back far more than that in customer satisfaction and goodwill. I can say from first hand experience that it is worth the effort.

+1

This. It's one of the key reasons Allegorithmic Substance toolset is leading in their market after a year or two. Their guru Wes Mcdermott and team created some wonderful basic training videos https://www.youtube.com/user/Allegorithmic/playlists, which have now been expanded over time as and when required.

Offline geekatplay

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
Geekatplay, Gumroad, youtube have same videos.
Purchase versions have bonus files, scenes ...etc.
Not all tutorials released on youtube, new unlocked weekly. If you want all at once, you need to purchase them.
Purchasing them support my work.
You can also send me email if you have related questions, you don't need to purchase anything to do that ;)
I also believe that you find greater talents here on forums, who can also answer your questions.

anything