Yes, it's something for me being Artist of the Month in April. Stewart was keen to see some specifically XFrog scenes, so that was a good incentive to pull some out again. I didn't do much more than adding some pop variation and plain translucency, but with proper use of good translucency, reflective and bump maps, they would possibly be better still.
I did a test with the -cropoutput started tgd.exe, and rendered 4 slightly overlapping crops. With normal crops the rest of the total image is of course black and the file size of each crop twice as much as with the -cropoutput crops (12MB versus 6MB). The memory use with the normal crops was 12.5 gigs max, with - cropoutput it was 7.4gigs. Rendertime @ 0.6 and AA6, and soft shadows (6 samples) was 1 hour.
I used a GICache for the total, and blended the read within the 4 crop range. In PS I put them in layers and there was no difference in color whatsoever, so even an exact fitting crop would work.
Learned something again, and with a big museum thing coming up (hopefully) this is very valuable to know.
I actually liked that upper right part as it is, so I kept that as well.