Specks in the render

Started by pclavett, July 07, 2016, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

Hi all !
Another stupid question......this render is full of specks and wonder if there is something wrong with my settings ???
See image below !
The search did not give me the answer.
Thanks !
Paul

fleetwood

I've had specks like that a few times in a complicated terrain. My thinking was that they seemed like tiny holes or rips in displacement of the terrain so I was seeing sky through the planet surface. Maybe you could make the sky a very vivid color to test that theory.

Sorry but my only solution was to edit them out in post if there were only a few.

Dune

As soon as displacements get too steep or extreme you get these, and indeed 'Force all edges' (inside render node) can do a lot of elimination. But I usually edit them out in post, as force al edges takes longer to render.
I even tried adding a second (black) planet, slightly smaller, to obstruct the atmosphere poking through, but that didn't work.

KyL

Looks like high reflectivity to me. Check what's the roughness in your grass shader!

yossam

Partly looks like specularity artifacts and partly displacement issues. Dune is correct as far as it being a whole lot easier in post, the clone brush works wonders.  :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: pclavett on July 07, 2016, 08:06:56 PM
Hi all !
Another stupid question......this render is full of specks and wonder if there is something wrong with my settings ???
See image below !
The search did not give me the answer.
Thanks !
Paul

I've had that and found the specularity on the grass  was too high....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Looks like some extreme/"wrong"/"bad" displacement settings. I see in some of your foreground rocks that the displacement is extremely jagged, sharp, and small-scale, which could be contributing to the issue. If you like the look of everything as it is, then you may not want to change the settings, so in that case you can do post processing as Ulco suggested. But I would recommend looking at your displacement amplitude/multiplier/strength values and make sure they make sense relative to the scale/size of your displacement features, as a start.

- Oshyan