Author Topic: Iceland - A Northern Fantasy  (Read 1574 times)

Offline zaxxon

Iceland - A Northern Fantasy
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »
A fair number of false starts along the way. This is a tough theme in my estimation, without having been to to Iceland, relying on photos, especially with the dynamic phenomena of the Aurora. I've titled this image as a 'Fantasy': because after all the research and images viewed it still amounts to what my 'feeling' of  Iceland is.  And that sense is: Volcanic, Cold, with a Magic Sky. Here with a month to go some of my own directions forward:  tweak a bit with the aurora, maybe some deep snow on the foreground rocks, maybe a slight POV shift (minor). The starfield is from Dandel0 http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19264.0.html (thanks again - nice utility). Thanks to Choronr and Dune for some insights along the way.

Offline inkydigit

• 🍄🍄🍄
    • inkydigit's website
Re: Iceland - A Northern Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
Looks great so far.... Lovely looking aurora! Keep on!
:)
J

Offline Danny

• New World Digital Art
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:07 PM »
Great sky, suggestion- change up the POV to avoid that hard horizontal shoreline. Really a promising start here

Offline Dune

• Corkscrew Bird
    • www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
I am not so sure about the rocks and snow. Perhaps you should do some more work on those. The sky is great!
In case you still haven't seen enough of my work: www.ulco-art.nl

Offline zaxxon

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks!
 Ulco: yeah, the snow and rocks are both a bit simple at this point, looking at some deep snow set-ups from the forum archives and may apply a texture to the rocks.
 Danny: Thanks. I'll tweak with the POV a bit more.
 Inky: Thanks Man.

Offline choronr

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 02:12:28 AM »
Nice work on the Aurora. These are a combination of softness and brightness in the right places - really difficult to replicate. Agree regarding the snow. I think you need more of it to better balance the grayness of the rock/stones. Dry moss maybe?

Offline TheBadger

• what's the difference?
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:11:42 AM »
Great lights. Agree that the terrain need more attention now that you got such nice effects in the sky. It will look very good I think.
It has been eaten.

Offline N-drju

• Changes, changes, changes...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
Fantastic fantasy I would say. Just add some color to the... clouds? I believe? And darken the sky.
"I don't know what 'pokygon' is but I like it."