Author Topic: Iceland 1  (Read 5465 times)

Offline AP

Iceland 1
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »
Here is my first attempt that I had recently been working on the past four days in my spare time. Much work to be done, for one... flora. Other alterations will be considered.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:38:24 PM by ChrisC »

Offline Dune

• Terragen Alpha Tester (Win)
    • www.ulco-art.nl
Re: Iceland 1
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:35 AM »
Cool start. The rock on the right side is perfectly suited for a waterfall.

Offline AP

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
Never done a waterfall before. It's a matter of it looking real enough to justify adding it there.

Offline Danny

• New World Digital Art
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »
I like the set up here. Spot on with the greens. Look forward to this one for sure

Offline TheBadger

• what's the difference?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:27:56 AM »
Interesting start. I like the cliffs to either side. Helps to define the comp well.
It has been eaten.

Offline AP

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
I like the set up here. Spot on with the greens. Look forward to this one for sure

At first I thought the small flora was too bright but after looking at references, not the case at all.

Offline AP

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:17:08 PM »
Interesting start. I like the cliffs to either side. Helps to define the comp well.

Yes. 

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 08:04:27 AM »
I actually don't know if the greens are really that bright in Iceland or if that's just the photographic enhancement/effect wanted by the photographers. You can't tell colors by checking out photo's, but as a photographic effect is needed for the competition anyway, it doesn't matter.
Oshyan can probably tell us (though he was there in winter). Anybody else been there?

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:21:41 AM »
Yes, I was there in late winter/early spring so I can't really say for sure how it is in spring or summer. I do have a hard time believing that many of the Iceland images are not somewhat enhanced though. The images I have seen of things I did see while I was there have almost always been enhanced (and indeed many of my images have some amount of enhancement too, though I try to stick to adjustments that I feel reflect what I saw or felt when I took the shot). So I am not sure things are *quite* as bright and *saturated* as many photos show, but still it is a quite uniquely colored, and high contrast landscape overall. Indeed, if there was anything I would emphasize it is the contrasts and how sharp and unexpected (and seemingly unnatural) they can be.

- Oshyan

Offline AP

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
Changing directions rather drastically. Comments and critiques are welcome.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:38:36 PM by ChrisC »

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »
Interesting. I think I like the new one better. The snow and strata on those distant mountains is quite nice. Need to see the foreground develop and become a bit more distinctive before I know quite what to think of that... It's a good start in another direction though, I think.

- Oshyan

Offline AP

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:59 AM »
Not certain as to what I want to do with the foreground over what I have now.

Offline Dune

• www.ulco-art.nl
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
Yes, I like this better as well. A bit on the dark side maybe, and you need irregularity in the cones. A lower POV maybe for some more defined definition/close up view of the foreground.

Offline FrankB

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »
I think the low clouds are in a difficult position in this image. If they would have smaller features, be lower, and would be positioned in a way so that they do not obstruct a clean view upon the valley, then this could make a big difference.

Do volcano opening like these really exist on Iceland or anywhere? I should not be surprised, Iceland is full of unique wonder, but still curious.

Cheers
Frank

Offline Oshyan

• Planetside Staff
  • Holy snagging ducks!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
Why yes, they do. :D
http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/image/72941048

I didn't see any myself though, I think they're more in the North or interior, which was less accessible when I was there in the spring.

- Oshyan

anything