Settings for Fractal Breakup Shader

Started by Djb3000, August 03, 2014, 03:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djb3000

What settings should you use on a fractal breakuo shader on a surface layer to create small scale colour textures? I'm trying to build up layers of broken colour on an obj model approx 1 x 1 metre. I cant work out if the 'smallest scale' setting is on a large scale or microscopic. What settings are recommended?

Thanks.

P.s. I was formerly known as Zapatista  :)

Dune

The breakup shader that's attached to the surface shader breaks up the 'grey' areas, easy to check if you attach a soft simple shape (size 100m, edge profile bevel and 50m) as mask input. The edges are broken up by the pattern of the breakup shader. If you uncheck breakup, the edges are a smooth transition.
For color variation I usually use power fractals (as a series into the color input or child input). The top one can have both colors checked, but the subsequent ones need only one color (which lays on top of the previous colors), if you use two colors they will overwrite the previous colors completely. You can also stack a series of surface layers, masked by a series of power fractals (you can leave the breakup shaders as they are), where you can alter the coverage for more subtle layers of color over eachother.
And regarding size; think meters! And check each fractal for its distribution pattern  (the square under 'stay open'), you can easily see what happens if you change size, color settings and noise settings.

Tangled-Universe

Not much to add to Dune's explanation as it sums it up pretty well.

You can let the fractal breakup control all of the coverage by setting the surface layer coverage to 0.5 and fractal breakup to 1.
Now you'll see that if you follow Dune's test setup, that also the white part of the simple shape shader will break up.

Djb3000

Thanks for the tips. I will experiment with them :)